• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Recovery

Oldsouthernboy

I recieved permission from the money Manager to purchase a M1029 at last. I found this in Morrlion AR. (or close by on top a mountain 20 miles away) The man who had it for sale has a paint and body shop also, also with a military vehicle collection over about 5 acres. The body had been just painted and all the dings taken out, antenna holes filled with bolts or plugs. The dash cover ws new or appears new, all the window seals, windshied seals and rear windows seals replaced, new rubber mats that fit installed, behind the seat a jack, lug wrench and jack handle with directions. This looked like a new ready to issue truck. The engne bay was clean and not greasy, fired right up and drove great. I checked the front end and it apperas to recently rebuild, no old rubber, or weathering on any of the steering gear. I went and told a white lie to the uhaul people about a small car to be moved. Loaded up and away I went. A rear pucker factor with a mile long steep very windy mountain road to start and 6,000 lbs pushing you. From there to Jacksonville, al was 55 all the way. I left at 1 AM monday and returned at 12:30 AM that night, My ridder balied out the last minute. Memphis in rush hour with narrow roads and bridges with a lot of traffic kept me awake for sure. Today I went and started doing all the new check out like oil, filters, brakes test run for the death wobble. No problems just like ready to Issue. Still has the US goverment data plate on the door. While making a liscense plate bracket for the back I scrached the paint and found RED PAINT. AHHHH This a truck from a fire department, that has not be cut and slashed to heck. IT appears to have been lightly used and very, very well maintained to include full mechanical refurbishment and great maintance. The front seat is very nice not body forming, no tears, no marks.
The roof is unmolested not drilled into or abused. Runs great at 55, shifts very good and postive, Feels new running to me. I also had a great condition, set of M1008 side boards, the newer aluminum and fiberglass ones put in the back as part of the deal. He as a LOT and I mean a lot of M1009 doors, parts, even the M 1008 radio racks with the cable boxes sitting in the yard. I went away with long drool marks down my shirt. If I can figure out how to post I will post pic of the load out and of the truck.. OHH by the way the steering wheel still has the backside friction molding, not slick and smooth, milage shows just over 47,000.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks