• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Resurrection

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this former USAF beauty sitting in the woods. Actually it was at Hillbilly Wizards place, waiting to be scrapped or saved.

After many months of pondering and hesitation on my part, John and I struck up a deal. The idea was to get it fixed it up so it is able to be driven around. It's by no means a beauty queen, but, it will give me another project to work on down the road. At least it will not be going to the scrap heap. The bed was shot, so I had him him remove it. I may put a flat bed camper on it.

John and his crew completely rebuilt the front and rear axles, I had him put 4.11 gears in it. Installed a working 6.2 and TH400 drive train. I asked him to put one of his new brush guards on it. They are fantastic! You will be impressed with the quality and finish.

Eventually this may become the next Convoy or Camper truck. Not sure what to do with it yet. I'm sure it will be some time until I get to rebuilding the rest of the truck.

I wish I could have the same skills and patience that Dive Dive has on his M1008 rebuild. He certainly has raised the bar on doing a quality restoration! It certainly has been helpful to see what he has done.

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this former USAF beauty sitting in the woods. Actually it was at Hillbilly Wizards place, waiting to be scrapped or saved.

After many months of pondering and hesitation on my part, John and I struck up a deal. The idea was to get it fixed it up so it is able to be driven around. It's by no means a beauty queen, but, it will give me another project to work on down the road. At least it will not be going to the scrap heap. The bed was shot, so I had him him remove it. I may put a flat bed camper on it.

John and his crew completely rebuilt the front and rear axles, I had him put 4.11 gears in it. Installed a working 6.2 and TH400 drive train. I asked him to put one of his new brush guards on it. They are fantastic! You will be impressed with the quality and finish.

Eventually this may become the next Convoy or Camper truck. Not sure what to do with it yet. I'm sure it will be some time until I get to rebuilding the rest of the truck.

I wish I could have the same skills and patience that Dive Dive has on his M1008 rebuild. He certainly has raised the bar on doing a quality restoration! It certainly has been helpful to see what he has done.
That looks great!! Yes I saw his brush guard at spring Carlisle...very nice. Shouldn't be to hard to find something to pop on the back...I think CUCVrus has some ambulance boxes at his place...He's goin through a sellin phase too...gotta jump when that happens!!

cucvrus

And yes, the M1010's are going to the big scrap yard in the hills very soon. I have some construction work being done in my yard and the 1 M1010 with the skirts and A/C still attached against the fence is going to be the first M1010 to go. Be quick. I am in the early stages of that construction. I have all the trees cut down, split and hauled way. The M1010 body I was just discussing with the boom wrecker owner last night. I am going to add a few lifting attachments to it. An Ford F550 hydraulic boom wrecker should be able to handle that. I used a Ford F350 hydraulic boom wrecker 20 years ago to set it there. If you are even slightly interested contact me and the loading will be a freebie. The body will be a price that fair to both of us. Take Care. Skirts are still in place on this body. I have 2 M1010 bodies with skirts and 2 M1010 bodies without the skirts. And the S280 shelter is on the chopping block also. I want them gone. New interests in life and my plans don't include them.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I already have a M1010 and it's going to be resto project #3. Sorry, Rick, I don't need another 1010 body here.

It's nice to see a truck go from being "Lost in the Woods" (yes I was at Ft Leonard Wood) to a functioning machine. The folks at Hillbilly Wizard really helped make this save possible. John put up with my constant changes and other requests.

Maybe I should convert an S250 shelter to sell ice cream and snow cones and install it on the back of the truck? Camo Cones...
This may help to pay for all the other project trucks.
That's if I don't eat all the profits..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks