• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 to M1028A3 Gov Conversion?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mods, If this has been covered before, please delete.

These are pics and observations of the 1028A3 I bought from GSA in Utah. First, I believe this truck is a Gov conversion of a 1028 (5077) into a A3. Stickers in the cab lead me to believe this was a USAF truck.

Pics:

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Suspension Pics, part of the reason the rear leafs are bowed is because the bottom spring is installed upside down...

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recall reading somewhere that all of the duallys were converted, not ordered that way. Maybe Jeff Symanski will pipe up on this. As recently as a couple of years ago I recall comeing across at least one person that had an uninstalled kit. Even the TM describes them as being converted.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The thing I really like is the complete install of the dual tanks, complete with the switch on the dash. Also the Dana 70 with 4:56 gears. I am curious if the helper springs on the front axle are part of the conversion?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Recovry4x4 said:
I recall reading somewhere that all of the duallys were converted, not ordered that way. Maybe Jeff Symanski will pipe up on this. As recently as a couple of years ago I recall comeing across at least one person that had an uninstalled kit. Even the TM describes them as being converted.
Kenny, What did the kit include?.....A Dana 70......plus all the trimmings?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the kit had data plates, the dana 70 axle, fenders, front rotor assys and hardware. I can't conclusively comment on the swaybar as the factory dually 4x4s didn't have a rear sway bar like the 2x4s did. I bought a new 4x4 dually in 86 and couldn't get a rear sway bar, I was able to get the factory indash tach though.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, all M1028A1's, A2's, and A3's were conversions. An M1028A3 would have been a converted M1028 (which the 5077 NSN confirms). The M1028A2 is a converted M1028A1. And, the M1028A1's were converted M1031's. They should all have an MWO plate stating they were converted into whatever, as well as a Mfr. plate on the drivers door jamb with the original NSN (either M1028 or M1031).

I have heard that a few duallys were factory built, but I don't believe they were actual M1028A2's or A3's. I have seen a number of dually M1028's with communication boxes on the back, that appear to have been factory built. These were all also 1987 models with the 200-amp charging system.

I'm not convinced any were deliverd with pickup boxes, since the NSN's for the dually versions are so far after the rest of the series. The truck in my avatar (also M1028A3) was converted by me with an original kit, so I am fairly intimate with every part used. It had the following:
  • Fenders and all other GM dually parts, the fiberglass parts and other metal panels
    Data plates
    Front hubs and seals
    Dana 70HD axle
    New driveshaft
    New proportioning valve
    Rear swaybar kit (new perches, u-bolts, end links and frame brackets)
    New side mirrors
    Wheels, wheel lug rings, rear spacers for between the wheels, lug nuts, screw-in valve stems
    A template for cutting the bed in the right spot for the conversion.
    And... all necessary hardware (right down to rivets for the data plates).

They must have only had access to a partial kit when they did this truck. Attached is a pic of the data plate they would have used if they had a complete kit. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of an M1028A3 MWO plate, although I do have one somewhere of an M1028A2 MWO plate (which has an incorrect NSN, too! :shock: )

Also attached a pic of the crate with the fenders from my kit...

Technically, only the M1028 and M1028A1 were "donors" for the conversion. But, as I said, I have seen converted M1008's come out also...

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hmmm, my handmade data plate has the GM part number that appears on the "factory" kit data plate.....

Ok, then, since it's not a complete conversion, I'm scrapping it......

Not.... ;)

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I'm not knocking it! It is a sweet ride. Especially with dual tanks! It makes me want my old one back... :(

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does make me wonder why they would have hand-made a plate, when they obviously had all of the right info for it? Where did they get the info, if they did not have an original plate (i.e. the GM part #)???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks