• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 tow a deuce?

Corvette1974

Hello. I just have a real quick question. Could an M1028 flat tow an M35A2? Ive towed a 6000 pound Chevy C30 no issues, and I could imagine it could tow two of them. I dont have any plans to do this, but its kinda just a "would like to know for my own knowledge" question. Of course the M1028 would have an auxillary trans cooler.

Let me know what you guys think.

Will

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In an emergency, for a few hundred yards maybe. I towed a 5 ton w/trailer with a M1028 w/M101 trailer off of the freeway once. It was slow going and only to get to safety.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was probably at least 40000 lbs of 5 ton, pulling at least 3000-4000 lbs of trailer. The 101 I was towing was full of tools and probably overloaded at 3000 lbs or more. The 1028 was loaded with tires and almost touching the overload springs. It was quite a sight, I'm sure. Rolling resistance is different than just weight, though.

lavarok

Bad idea, don't do it.

I've been in a ditch with two deuces and a busted tow bar before....I dont want to think about what could of happened had I been flat towing with a smaller truck.

Corvette1974

Heres another quick question, another capability question. Could a 2003 Duramax tow a deuce? I know a friend that uses one to tow that much pretty routinely. Like I said, I wouldnt actually do this, but Im just wondering.

Will

91W350

Find a trailer with good electric brakes to tow behind the Duramax and we will all breath easier with the deuce on a trailer. 8) I flat towed a five ton with my deuce, not recommended either. At least it was occupied and had air via the deuce. The towed vehicle had brakes and a brake operator.

Pinz25086

I pulled my deuce off base behind a Dodge 1 ton. I will never try that again. The deuce was in control the whole way. Way too dangerous for me to even attempt to do it again. Call a wrecker , it may save someones life!

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has new case and client all over it.......
A 13,000# truck with no brakes behind a pick-up. You gonna stop it how?

This is NOT a recommended operation except ONLY to clear the downed vehicle from the roadway, and then SLOWLY.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has new case and client all over it.......
A 13,000# truck with no brakes behind a pick-up. You gonna stop it how?

This is NOT a recommended operation except ONLY to clear the downed vehicle from the roadway, and then SLOWLY.
Job security!

Save a life, only try this on your property.

Corvette1974

Muahahahaha!!!! Dont worry I wouldnt ever try it, I dont even have a deuce! I was kinda just gauging the ridiculousness of how beastly deuces are....and I like that rule "dont flat tow something bigger than the tow vehicle"

Will

Whitfield

What is the tow rating of a "G" vin code M1008 ~ Tong weight and total recommended trailer weight?

I've got a friend that regularly tows 12-14 large round hay bails behind his K-20.

Also I know some states require an in vehicle brake controller for flat towed vehicles but I have no experience with them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks