• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 tranny shifting vaccuum pump question.

sowchinook1

Hey All,

My 1028 seems to enjoy shifting gears only at near redline rpm, I gathered through other posts that this may be due to insufficient vacuum either from leaks or a failing pump. I'm going to check the lines, but in the event the lines are fine, I'll have to assume the pump is bad. So I checked autozone and a new pump is 129 bucks. My question is, will this pump be identical to the one on my truck or is there a mil version? The autozone of course didn't have a 1987 m1028 reference so I queried 1987 V30 4x4 6.2 diesel for the part search. Also, on a separate note, I was wondering if the cucvs use some kind of military/offroad shock absorber vs. a standard one found on civi trucks. The reason I ask, I've had a few 1 ton 4x4s in the past, 4x4s SRW and when I jump up and down on the bumper the civilian trucks are rock solid barely moving up and down at all. My 1028 however, will bounce up and down quite a bit. Are the shocks just worn down or different style, and no I havent gotten fatter so I'm sure it's the truck!

Thx

tlm47201

The M1028 uses a pump that mounts where the distributor went on gassers. On the civis, I believe they used a belt driven unit, but (and this is the million dollar question) I think civi units with a/c used possible the military unit. Not 100% positive tho.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the pump makes vacuum, check the rubber lines at the tranny and vacuum valve (pass side of the IP). Also, try to adjust the vacuum valve. Rotate the top of it all the way toward the rear of the truck and test drive it. If it makes it better (or shifts too soon now), you need to adjust it. If no difference, it might be bad.

Basically, if you don't give the tranny any vacuum, it's going to shift on the governor, which means pretty much full speed shifts all the time. They are pretty harsh, too. If the shifts almost bark the tires, then you might not have vacuum at all.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That I am aware, all 6.2 vacuum pumps are "distributor" style. A.I.R. pumps are belt style, but only on gassers, as far as I know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks