• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Trans switch from TH400 to 4L80E

SmokeyDod

Could use some help from hopefully "past experience". I bought a 99 or 2000 yr mod 4L80E out of a GM3500. I want to put it in my M1028 (of course as less expensive as possible) . I know that this trans (valve body) is electronically controlled. I have already talked to "TCI" & they offer control module & wiring harness---BUT WOW $$$$$.
Have any of you guys done this? Any & all suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks...

Bozor1000

I think that is the only way to instal it is with the TCI kit. I don't know of any other alternatives unless some other SS member does. I also believe that you may need another adapter for the transfer case. If so check with advance adapters.

86-1ton

TCI or go junkyard hopping for any '99/'00 3500's with a 4L80 and grab as much of the wiring and the computer... it's not going to be easy...

you might want to check out pirate4x4.com and fourwheeler.com or 4wheeloffroad.com

- Ryan

SmokeyDod

Thanks guys. As I understand it the computor module in GM3500 contols everything in truck, engine etc. Trying to isolate just the trans functions would be a task. I would have hoped that someone might know of someone beside TCI (who seems to be more hi-perf oriented) which I don't need --I'm looking for that 40 mpg (ha). thanks Smokey

AJMBLAZER

In 1991 the V series (our truck's body style) had the 4L80E and GM used a stand alone computer to control it.

If you can adapt it to your 4L80E I dunno. If you can find one you might find the TCI option not much more expensive. If I recall correctly there's at least one more company that makes stand alone controllers for them...but I can't tell you who.

Do a search on here, there's at least one member who has done this and had a fairly detailed write up about it.

SmokeyDod

Thanks, last few min i been chatting on line with "Bowtie Overdrives" He supposed to email info. I'll let u guys know what I find.

truck0590

Also a lot of bread vans that had 6.2 or 6.5s had 4l80e with stand alone computer. I have looked into this a few times. There is also the issue of mating to the NP205. It can be done but takes some machine work and the TH400 adapter. I've also been told it is easier to convert (to NP205) a 2WD 4l80e because the shaft is longer then a 4WD version. If you want I can send you some of my links I've saved from my searches.

Truck

Crash_AF

Might as well post them in this thread for others who want to attempt the same swap in the future... I know I might be interested in doing the same swap later when I get a 1031.

Later,
Joe

fairly easy...

it's very doable with a little planning.
remember that the cucv body style was available in the one-ton civvy trucks until late 91',and the 4l80 was available with the 6.2 in that year only for this body style.

iv'e done this swap,and it's a really good way to get overdrive besides going manual.i can give a few tips...

first you'll have to decide what x-case your going to use.if you use a 205,which style comes to mind?there are 2 versions,one with the traditional "race track" adaptor and the later"round" adaptor.
the race track adaptor can be macined to fit by getting hold of the out-put housing from a 2-wd 4l80.bring both to a machinist,and the indexing rings can be made to match.for the round style,a factory adaptor exists,but is super rare.iv'e only seen one.
as an option,i believe that an np-208 adaptor can be used with a round case 205,but a couple of holes need some "massaging" to line up.

the trans will have to be dissasembled to get the correct out-put shaft in place.for a 32 spline short 205,with the race-track adaptor,you'll need a 4-wd"short" output with 1/4 inch machined off the spline end.for the round style,use a 4-wd "long" trans output.if measurements say (take lots of these) that there will be a problem,track down a "motorhome" output.these are very long,and splined full length.they can be cut to fit.

while the trans is dissasembled,inspect and repair as req',and replace all the seals and torringtons.use a new torque converter from a 6.5 diesel.the trans bolts to a 6.2 without issue.an np-241 x-case is an option.a passenger drop varient was used on the suberban from 91' to 94' i think.hard to find,but light weight,and fairly rugged.also has a superior low range.

you'll have to use new driveshafts,as the 4l80 is 2 inches longer than the thm-400.a shift linkage will have to be scrounged or built(this took me a while)or use a floor shifter.a crossmember will have to be re-located.the dipstick for the trans is still a good number at gm,but not for long.i used this controller.

WWW.compushift.com

it works well,but is not as adaptable as the tci unit.manual shift is much cheaper,and a viable option.a switch can be rigged for torque lockup,like the switches for the 700r4,with allowances made for the correct voltage to the solinoids in the trans.or get a torque without lockup.cooling lines will have to be made for the trans,and the inspection cover will have to be scrounged.this will be a scrap yard item.

i can't think of anything else off the bat...

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Re: fairly easy...

Ambulancechser said:
an np-241 x-case is an option.a passenger drop varient was used on the suberban from 91' to 94' i think.hard to find,but light weight,and fairly rugged.also has a superior low range.
The NV241 with the passenger side output was available from 89 to 91 under the K5 Blazer/Jimmy's and the 1500 Suburbans...think the 2500 Suburbans too but can't remember. 92+ in the Blazers/Yukons, Suburbans, and 88+ in the IFS body style trucks are all driver's side outputs.

The only issue is you only want a 89 NV241 as it will have the speedo gear spot like our 208's. 90+ went to the electronic speedos, even in our body style.

Crash_AF

Re: fairly easy...

Ambulancechser said:
first you'll have to decide what x-case your going to use.if you use a 205,which style comes to mind?there are 2 versions,one with the traditional "race track" adaptor and the later"round" adaptor.
the race track adaptor can be macined to fit by getting hold of the out-put housing from a 2-wd 4l80.bring both to a machinist,and the indexing rings can be made to match.for the round style,a factory adaptor exists,but is super rare.iv'e only seen one.
as an option,i believe that an np-208 adaptor can be used with a round case 205,but a couple of holes need some "massaging" to line up.
The round pattern right hand drop 205 was used in all of the 89-93 Dodge Cummins trucks.

Later,
Joe

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: M1028 Trans switch from TH400 to 4L80E

SmokeyDod said:
Thanks, last few min i been chatting on line with "Bowtie Overdrives" He supposed to email info. I'll let u guys know what I find.
I have a 700R4 from Bowtie, very good unit, installed behind a 400hp BB chevy in a 78 K10, about 5 yrs so far.

SmokeyDod

RE: Re: RE: M1028 Trans switch from TH400 to 4L80E

Thanks Guys youre a big help. I didn't get the info from "BowTie" llike I thought they were going to do. will ck with them. what info you gave really helps. Smokey

devilman96

Man... Id skip all of the above and just get a 700R4... its so much easier. Or convert the L480 over to manual... But I dont see the point as it would be more annoying to drive in the end.

sure...

A nice easy to instal 700r is all good until it blows up.a 1/2 ton trans,even a built one,has no place in a one ton.
recently,i had a chance to use a "manumatic"...manual shifted 4l-80.real easy to use.it was in a drag car,but i really can see the use in an off-roader...no need to back out of the throttle when you shift.i think it would be great in mud and sand.properly set-up i think this would be an excellent option.the key is having it installed by a real trans shop...no shade trees allowed.

K5NUTT

RE: sure...

Have not consulted my 91 R/V Helm diagrams as of yet. But in a box in the shop i have a complete 91 V2500 Burb harness...bumper to bumper. The burb was 350 TBI-4L80E...and it used the standard ecm to control the 4L80E part of the equasion. The ecm is not the standard 7747 and it has a chip in it more like that of a tuned port camero. I'll assume the one year only 6.2L variant had the gm issue stand alone ecm to run the trans only....i'd like to see what the stand alone ecm looks like and if it was mounted where a normal gas rigs ecm was mounted under the dash.

DW

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: sure...

Just bought a 91 burb half ton. It has the 700R4. I'm going to scrao my 94 Chev crew cab dually 4x4 before long. It has a 4L80E in it that mightget sold.

Croatan_Kid

I must say that I disagree about putting a 700R4 in a 1-ton!

I built mine, swapped it into the truck and have since enjoyed being able to drive my truck daily where ever I please. It's got a nice, low first gear, it's plenty tough with the parts I put in it, and the OD gear is excellent! Plus I can lock the torque converter in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. All the parts are easy enough to find from a donor 1/2 ton as well.

If the concern is the weight of the truck, well....shoot, GM put them in Suburbans! My truck weighs right at 6,000 pounds, has 39" tall, 130 pound tire/rim combo and I've had no problems.

But....one of these days I'll be able to afford to put a 6BT/NV4500/203/205 under it and really be cookin with gas! :D