• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Ultimate street AND Trail

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I drive my M1008 daily an really like it, but i want to keep that one original. I recently aquired a M1028 and want to do some mods to tailor it to my tastes. I plan to install a Off road design 4" shackle flip lift kit and put in a NV4500 transmsission. 35" Baja claw tires. One of my questions is should I put a np205 cast iron case in, or leave the np208? I'm thinking the 205 is better/stronger and the low 1st gear of the nv4500 will compensate for the transfer case gear ratio differance, what do you think?:?:

My goal is to get excellent street drivability and first rate off road capibility

Croatan_Kid

Not trying to discourage you, but look at spending a few thousand dollars for an NV4500, NP205 to bolt to it, the clutch stuff, clutch pedals, etc, etc.

I'm putting a 6BT Cummins, NV4500, and round pattern NP205 in my M1008 and it's been nothing but a money pit! :roll:

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i'm committed, pedals 60 bucks at the junk yard. Hydraulic clutch stuff 356 so far, advance adaptors conversion 966, but if I use the 205 i think i dont need the T case adaptor, 400 savings?. my nv4500 was only 1300 rebuilt without a core. What the heck its only money right? isnt there a law about putting a dodge engine into a chevy?:p

seriously why are you using the 205?

Dabba

205 is gear driven as oppsed to chain and is cast iron so its generally thought of as stronger, but i like the low range of my 208. but if i had the cash and time id think about swapping in a 205 from an m1031 for the pto capability (dunno why i would need it but im sure i could find something)

tacmedr17

205 without question !!! OH and Twin Stick that case its simple to do and it gives you a lot more options but that’s just my opinion

hobie237

I'm planning to do something similar, but I'm keeping the 208 case and getting an SM465 trans. Even at $1300, which is really, really cheap for a 4500, it's $1000 more than I can get a 465 for locally. And the 465 bolts right in (as long as it's a 32 spline to match the 208 case). Overdrive would be nice, but it's not worth the extra $1000 to me. That said, the 4500 requires only minor other parts changes, and if you want to change those parts anyway (like the transfer case for strength), it's not that much harder.

That said, sounds like a good plan for the truck. I wouldn't worry about the less attractive low range of the 205 case, you're still going to be way lower with the 6.5:1 first (and maybe still lower even in the ~3:1 second) of the 4500 than the crappy 2.48 first of the 400 trans. 205 also has the option of a PTO, my buddy put one on his 1008. I'd look for one with a PTO, even if I had no immediate plans of using it, because then you have the option.

If you're lifting 4", I'd go with bigger tires than the 35s. I have 35s on my truck, with only minor front fender trimming. With 4" lift I'd go with 38s as a minimum.

4" is generally considered the minimum lift for crossover steering, I'd do that, too.

I don't know if you know about it already, but check out Colorado K5 - Full-Size GM 4x4 Restoration and Off Road Community while you're at it.

Last edited:

kennyw

ORD makes good parts... but I'd check out the stuff at DIY4X: Catering to those who enjoy doing it themselves. first before you buy. They have better products at cheaper prices than ORD. To top it off they have top notch service too.

The NP205 is a great t-case, but it is limited in gearing for off-road use. The NV4500 is going to come with a drivers drop NP241 from the factory. You need a passenger drop t-case. They are very durable t-cases with a better low range than the NP205.

While the aluminum case is more prone to damage on the trail, a good set of skid plates can eliminate that problem. They can also be converted to a fixed yoke to eliminate the slip yoke. Another advantage to the NP241 over the NP205 is no need for the AA adapter for the NP205 for one less gasket (place to leak). However, since you would need a new t-case either way it may come down to what kind of deal you can find on the t-case itself.

My goal is to get excellent street drivability and first rate off road capability
This will never happen. To get excellent street manners you have to compromise your off road capability. To get excellent off road capability you have to compromise your street manners. There is no middle ground where you get both without compromise.

My truck is running radial hummer 37's on 2" lift and is built as a middle ground truck. I don't think anyone would be comfortable driving it long distances. It does great stopping with a load though now that I have 4 wheel disc brakes. With the lift and larger tires the truck vibrates, bounces, pulls odd directions at random... I've been through everything on the chassis and brake system to rebuild or replace it and it still has undesirable road manners. Off road it does fine in my horse pasture when it is a little muddy, but I won't be winning any awards in a rock crawling competition. And I doubt I could keep up with my friends that are locked front/rear running 40" or larger tires built only for off-road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks