• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 with 200amp system

markx250

Looking at pulling the trigger on an M1028 to keep my M1009 company.

This one happens to be one of the 1987 rare birds with the heavy-duty charging system (2 big red alternators on the passenger side).

Truck is low miles, great shape, but one of the benefits I was hoping to keep was having 2 vehicles set up the same way for consistency (fix one u know how to fix the other).

My only concern is those alternators ...

• Are they reliable?
  • Can they be serviced?
  • Is there an OEM solution for replacement
  • Has anyone converted back to the normal system (pulleys, brackets and belts could be tracked down, but how different is the wiring/circuitry)?

Keith_J

Reliability is compromised by the 1980s era battery equalizer, this provides regulated 14.8 volts for the main engine/vehicle electrical system through one of the 24 volt alternators. Often, it fails causing front battery over-voltage and burned out bulbs.

Yes, they can be serviced as parts for the alternators are available, you might have to order.

Yes, there are solutions, see the various M1010 threads with regards to the Duvac replacement.

Converting to a 100 amp dual Delco 27SI system would be possible but difficult. Wiring changes would be your greatest stumbling block. But since you have a 1009, you could use that as an example.

markx250

Yes, it still has the AC on the driver side. Thanks for the tip on Duvac ... when I looked at it I wondered what the blue thingie with the fins on it was all about. I knew u guys would have it all figured out. I wonder if those stacked alternators would interfere with a possible turbo install?