• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 wont start

mikeyb

hi i have a 1986 m1028 with the 6.2 disel for the last few weeks it would puttry and almost die out if i didnt have my foot on the gas then i was driving and if wouldnt go faster then like 30mph and then it died. so i trun around to go home but it did it like 4 more thime till finnaly it dided and wouldnt start back up.please help it have new battries and starter.

cucvrus

Injection pump has failed. i have that happen when they barely go. Or you could have a clogged fuel filter , fuel sock in tank or a leak in the fuel feed system or a bad lift pump. The list just goes on and on. Not sure with your description. Can not be 100% helpful at this point it is just guess work. That is hard to say sight unseen. Good Luck. get it to an old timer that know how to work on things he actually has to diagnose with some effort on his party. No Obi Won Kenobi plug on these old rigs.

Assel

Fuel in tank? (dont trust the gauge, verify by putting a stick into it etc.) vent working? fuel comes out the drain on the filter (open drainscrew a bit first) dont forget to disconect the pink wire from the injection pump whilst trying to prime the system ?

Any Diesel Fuel anywhere around where it shouldnt be ? (in the "V" under the Aircleaner?)

If you have Diesel coming out the drain on the Filter whilst cranking your Lift pump works atleast and you are getting fuel to the Injection Pump. If you have sucked air into the Injection pump you can try unscrewing the lines to the Injection nozzles, try 1 at a time, after you have diesel coming out of 5 or more nozzle lines it should begin to start & run rough, do this to all of them. (before this, reattach the pink wire on the IP)

If your not sure what I am talking about, make sure you know how your engine works etc.

I would start with a new fuel filter, thats about the cheapest fail.

Last edited:

rsh4364

I would add a fuel pressure gauge,it would give you an idea where to start.Spectre perf.#59013 is really cheap or Mr gasket#1560 is much better.If you have 4-8 lbs pressure going into filter you know your sock filter,fuel lines and lift pump are good.That would narrow things down to the filter or the inj.pump.If you really want to narrow things down put a fuel pressure gauge on output side of filter also,that way you would know when filter is plugged up,and after replacing filter if still runs poorly it narrows it down to inj.pump or return line check valve.

Last edited:

tbearatkin

check the fuel flow per the manual and see if you have a good flow rate 1/2 pint of fuel in container after 15 seconds of cranking. If you do then I do not think the issue is at the fuel tank.