• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028A2 conversion question

87k5

I will start off by saying this fourm is AWSOME there is a wealth of information here, as I don't post much here I am on SS just about every day.

I do however have a question and pictures to go with it, so here it is:

Origional truck was a stock M1008, i got the wild hair to do the A2 conversion (why, cause I want to) I sourced everything I needed to do it I got a bed with dually fenders: 1st Picture.

14 Bolt DRW (i know the mil spec was a dana 70, the is a whole thread in its self, loooong story):-?: yes, already installed in the truck, the axle came out out of a mid 80" Chevrolet wrecker. 2nd Picture.

I went to install the bed yesterday and the wheels are pulled in too much, it looks like a clown car (no offense anyone): 3rd Picture, 4th Picture, 5th Picture.

I have searched all over Pirate 4X4, and the 14 bolt Bible and I THINK...... i figured out what I did wrong.

So here is my question: Do I need to swap the original axle back into the truck and swap the dually hubs over?

Thanks for your help,

Charlie.

Attachments

TGP (IL)

The housing your trying to use from the wrecker is a corporate, one ton axle for cab/chassis models.
The Dana 70 HD was used in the pick up version because it is wider than the corporate by about 4" if I remember.
I know of no adapters to convert your original or corporate to do what you want.
In fact the original and corporate axle are close to the same width?
The Dana 70 HD was specific to the pick up body.
Tom

87k5

Ok that sounds good, so can you tell me if i swap my original axle back in the truck will i be able to swap the drw hubs on to it?

Thanks,
Charlie

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When "junkyarding" for a dually pickup rear axle, think motor home width. Should be lots more distance from the inside dual to the springs each side. Unless the wider axle was specifically ordered, seldom done as an available option, a GM chassis cab truck will have the axle you are trying to use which is about 8" narrower. The Dana 70 was used in other applications.

Attachments

Last edited:

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur with all above. The Cab and Chassis has the narrow rear, the dually pickup has the wide rear, dana 70. This is how the truck should look from the back. I have yet to put the dually fenders and the 3rd and 4th tires on this one yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur with all above. The Cab and Chassis has the narrow rear, the dually pickup has the wide rear, dana 70. This is how the truck should look from the back. I have yet to put the dually fenders and the 3rd and forth tires on this one yet.

[thumbzup]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]TypeWidth WMS-WMSTube OD / ThicknessApplicationsHubs*[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Shafts**[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SRW
(single rear wheel truck)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]67.5" 3-3/8" / 0.5"Type A[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 1[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
DRW
(dual rear wheel truck)72"
3.5" / 0.5"Type B[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C&C
(cab and chasis truck)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]63.5"3.5" / 0.5"Type B[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 1[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Van70"G30 and G35Type A[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 3[/FONT]

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Further details. The 73-91 dually pickups (R & V from 88-91) did have the Dana 70 as described. Ambulance chassi/cabs had the wider Dana 70 as well. All other chassis/cabs had the narrow corporate. You can't swap those hubs over to the original rear end to obtain what you desire. I should also note that in the newer body styles, the dually pickups had a wide corporate instead of the Dana 70. There exists spacer kits that can be bolted on a SRW axle for duals but it surely won't increase capacity. What did you do with the front???

87k5

Recovry4x4: Why must you crush my dreams and tell me I can't swap the hubs over? Reality sucks sometimes.

therealsundance: I see in your post that I need 72 inches from wms to wms, is this correct?

indy4x4fab: If you were not half way across the country I would buy that axle from you, I am looking for 410's as well. Thanks for your input.

GM72K10: I see what you are talking about from your picture, thanks for your input.

11Echo: Time is of the essence because I am about to be out of the states for a year, so "junkyarding" is not going to be an option for me right now.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I do have an dana 70hd in the garage but when I pulled the diff cover I found it had nothing but rust in it, not a lick of oil. The only reason I havent rebuilt that one is because the price of the rebuild kit for it, that bad boy is expensive!

Maybe I will just put some mud flaps, wire up some lights and leave it as is for now and worry about it when I get back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks