• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028A2.. Dana 70HD rear end with power lock limited slip?

Haoleb

Finally got around to changing out my diff fluid front and rear on the 1028A2 and got to looking at pics of detroit lockers online. Hmm Mine looked nothing like those. Then I find a picture of this dana "power lock" limited slip. What the heck! Looks exactly like what is in my rear diff.

Anyone else come across this? I assumed I had the stock locker in there because sometimes in corners I could feel the rear end grabbing but now I am really bummed its not the stock rear end. I am guessing that after the truck found its way into private hands it got the wrong rear end or maybe the gov did it?

This is what the carrier looks like (not my truck obviously.. I already RTV the covers back on)

IMG_2251.jpg

oldolds442

Detroit locker is kinda brutal on the street...not familiar with power Lock, but is probably as good as the Detroit locker

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Is the 1028a2 a dually? I can't think of a reason to have a full locker in a dually. But I dunno, I live in an area with no sand, mud, or snow. Maybe that's why.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonderingif your A2 might have been converted with civy parts. Is it still sporting 4.56 cogs? I have a Detroit NoSpin in my converted dually SECM and notice no ill effects from it. My 87 V30 flatbed will get one this summer.

Haoleb

The truck is a dually and it is still 4.56 gears. I checked the axle to make sure it was still the dana 70 and sure enough it is cast into the housing 70HD on the axle.

I was just really surprised to find out it was a limited slip and not the locker that I thought it had. Seems to work just fine no wheel spin or nothing. Never having had a vehicle with a rear locker I guess the grabbing I could feel in the corners sometimes was probably just the limited slip chattering. Who knows what kind of oil was in there the rear diff oil looked gross. The front diff oil was brand new looking. In any case I filled both back up with 85-140 and limited slip additive.

scottladdy

Detroit locker is kinda brutal on the street...not familiar with power Lock, but is probably as good as the Detroit locker

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I've been daily driving my M1008 for 5 years. Yes, the Detroit Locker has it's quirks but I do not find it brutal. Just my perspective.

I can't remember where I saw this, but some are questioning the use of a full time locker in the rear with open or selective in the front. Instead they are advocating a full time like a Torsen or Detroit in the front with a selective or limited slip in the rear. This alternate arrangement allows the front wheels to pull the vehicle through turns vs having the rears push. This dramatically reduces the turn radius required to navigate around obstacles.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the Powr-Lok is very good, it's hard to beat the No-Spin, I think.
I have Detroit Lockers (front and rear) in two Jeeps, rear only in one Jeep and a Suburban, and No-spins in the M10XXs and the Peterbilt.
But yes, with first generation BFG All-Terrains, unequal length axle shafts (offset diff) and an 80-inch wheelbase, the Detroit can be a handful on the street. Changed tires and things got much better.
I've never noticed the No-Spins in the much longer and heavier M10XXs on the road, but I'm sure I would in the snow.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This dramatically reduces the turn radius required to navigate around obstacles.
Somewhat to my surprise, that's exactly what I found after changing out a Powr-Lok for a Detroit in the front of my Jeep. Usually I'm in 2WD as much as possible, but noticed that in very twisty sand washes the Jeep would turn almost 50% better when in 4WD.
That the steering became much lighter than with the limited slip was another welcome bonus.

Skinny

The dead give away is that a tight LSD you will feel almost no play between left and right side when jacked up. There will be a ton of resistance trying to spin one wheel by hand with the other on the ground. With a Detroit, you will note that the wheels have about an eight of a turn slop which are the teeth inside the diff. You can't turn one slowly from the other but if you quickly try or give one wheel a jounce it will ratchet. It will continue to ratchet until you stop spinning it and you'll feel it drop back into the locked position.

I have an M1031 and only feel it unload occasionally while driving which gives the truck a little wiggle. No big deal if you aren't a big sissy but then again anyone driving a CUCV probably has no issue. I do notice with my hubs locked in 2wd that my steering has a bit of unwanted pull because of the front LSD. Not a big deal but you certainly know when the hubs are in.

Good luck finding out what you have. Either way you are probably on the plus side of traction compared to an open diff. Unless you are doing some serious off roading with lifting tires, it probably will work just fine for 99% of the situations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks