• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028A3 Towing Capacity

hooyahdiver

Hallo...

The problem overhere is, only factory papers are accepted, and the pintle hook is kinda illegal here..There is a normal ball fabricated on the bumper.Here is what the DMV or what it's called here wants to know:Tow rating for the M1028, Original papers from factory only. (scan might be ok)A construction drawing of the ball hitch mounting and calculation of what the maximun load is. (maybe able to find someone for this)Max tow rating of the ball hitch. (Has an id plate, so this is no problem.)
The reference for you question is the Tech manual associated with the vehicle. TM's are located on Steelsoldiers homepage. The TM has drawing with specs etc... You'll be disappointed to find that the tech manual recommended tow weight is quite low. If I were you, I'd use GM civilian specs for your vehicle inspection. Hopefully your DMV will accept it since most DMV's here register them as if they were their civilian counterpart. For example, if you have a 1986 Dual rear wheel vehicle with a 4:10 rear end, the towing capacity you find in a Chilton's manual or from GM will be about 5,000lb+ with a hitch and probably 10,000lb with a 5th wheel whereas I suspect the pindle capacity is no more than 2,500lb. That said, I've towed 7,000lb+ (3,100kg) easily with an aftermarket receiver hitch. A guy in this thread said he towed 16,000lb (7,200kg+) with his. I recommend an after-marked transmission cooler, transmission temp gauge and and aftermarket hitch receiver which will require modification (cutting) to the bumper brackets and removal of the pindle assembly. PS: Other than the weight I towed, all numbers are conjecture. I know from experience that even with a tranny cooler etc... that there are much better choices for towing rigs out there. The suspension in extremely harsh, the engine with a heavy load is gutless (still love it) and going up a hill with a heavy load... fahgitaboutit!! Keep trips short (

hooyahdiver

PS: Other than the weight I towed, all numbers are conjecture. I know from experience that even with a tranny cooler etc... that there are much better choices for towing rigs out there. The suspension in extremely harsh, the engine with a heavy load is gutless (still love it) and going up a hill with a heavy load... fahgitaboutit!! Keep trips short (less than 1hr) and do them infrequently at relatively slow speeds ( less than 60mph (100kph)) with no grade or get a truck built for towing.

RobM36A2

Need high numbers. Going after the civilian numbers.
Slow speeds are no problem here, as cars with trailers and trucks by law have a maximum speed of 80kph (50mph)
For me, keeping my pulling weights, is a matter of principle. I will not do any towing, maybe 2 or 3 times a year.
Also want to take my M101 (in time with shelter) to the war and peace revival in the UK..

I hope the DMV will accept the numbers in a civilian manual, since the guy said to me he needed official factory specs..
(a buddy went the same way with his M1008, but to an other station, he could keep the pulling weights, no brake check)
(he walked in with pick-up/van registration, walked out with truck registration.. Funny how things work around here)

The truck drives better with some load in the bed, and not gutless at all.
Same with the stock M36, has more power than a regular deuce here in europe.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks