• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028a4

12vctd

I didnt use google, I am a member of the pirate BB, and I was sure it was a 61(I have built alot of dodge diesel with the Dana 61) I was simply giving rnd motorsports some info to read. Love the build

12vctd

I never stated that this axle was not custom, not once in my post was that mentioned. I simply was telling rnd motorsports there is such a axle as a dan 61 front. SOrry i bunched up your undies. I have built custom portals and many axles myself, I never once said it was a cobble job either. I guess my 2nd post could have been missunderstood. I simply try to give some people insite at times. Thats why i quoted who i was correcting. Again nice build and from now on I will keep my mouth shut as to not offend anyone when I am correcting someone else.

ODdave

I never stated that this axle was not custom, not once in my post was that mentioned. I simply was telling rnd motorsports there is such a axle as a dan 61 front. SOrry i bunched up your undies. I have built custom portals and many axles myself, I never once said it was a cobble job either. I guess my 2nd post could have been missunderstood. I simply try to give some people insite at times. Thats why i quoted who i was correcting. Again nice build and from now on I will keep my mouth shut as to not offend anyone when I am correcting someone else.
What am i missing? i dont see where anyone called the dana 61 custom.

12vctd

I was refering the the axle the was installed on mikeroots truck. The Dana 61 is not a custom axle but his is a custom built axle as I was corrected. Bottom line was I was wrong its not a problem I learn daily many many things.

mikeroot2

Mike is my Best Frend here where I live and the only one I would trust with my life.
To me he and his family better half and his kids are A#1 in my Book.
He is so happy to Get this truck. It is like a kid in a candy store.
I would not have sold This truck to any one else other than Mike.
Aww shucks! We love you too Chris.

mikeroot2

Chris done well on that truck **** of a mechanic..
Indeed she did and indeed she is! Troutt is someone to have on your side. In-case of break down, knowledge, skill, willingness to work and do what ever it takes. I am proud to call Chris my friend. I look forward to being schooled some more throughout the winter. I hope even half of her knowledge sinks in.

rnd-motorsports

Dana 61 is not a custom axle thou like mikeroot said it takes some hardware mods to make work. The dana 61 is a true front axle theres ton's of them in dodge trucks. And Ford used them in the rear of vans.

Quote from pirate 4x4 for info on a Dana 61
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What's the deal with the Dana 61?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With mileage and emissions concerns rising, at some point Dodge and / or Ford decided they wanted to be able to offer gears higher than the current highest ratio of 3.54 available in the D60. However, because of the design of the D60 the pinion head could not be made big enough to achieve a higher ratio. Hence, the birth of the Dana 61, which has a different casting that moves the pinion over 0.25"-0.437" (conflicting reports) - this allowed for a 3.07 axle ratio. The Dana 61 also uses 3.5" axle tubes. Other than that, it is very similar to the Dana 60. The Dana 61 was common in Dodge front ends and Ford van rears.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The difficulty with the Dana 61 is very limited gear and locker choices. However, you can use a combination of ring gear spacer and thick gear set to allow the use of differentials and gear sets intended for the Dana 60. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slagburn reports: to run a 4.88 I had to go with series 3 carrier, series 1 being 4.10 and down, series 2 being 4.56 and up, then the series 3. PLUS a .160" spacer. That's the problem, nobody makes a full case locker for a 61, but it could be doable with a thick ring gearset AND a spacer.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reider racing< Randy's R&P, and other sources make ring gear spacers for the Dana 61 .[/FONT]
Yes after my first reply I did some checking and found the info myself I had knew about the d61 in the fords but not them used in dodge or fronts Thanks for the info when you can't learn something new its time to stop working on things!

bkwudzhom

Wish I had the skills to put something like that together!:drool: I have plenty of ideas but no skill, time, $, or shop big enough to do it!!! LOL

mikeroot2

Chris,
Whatever you decide to do I know it will be done right. After seeing your work first hand, I have no doubt. I look forward to helping you, and learning.

Been enjoying your last project(M1028A4) since I took delivery yesterday :mrgreen:. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks