• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028's experts needed! Please

hunterfinn

I have read the wiki and multiple post and I am still some what confused. The M1028 is a single rear wheel, I get that. When it comes to the a2 and the a3, which has what transfer case, axles, and types of lockers? I really like the dual rear wheel look and would like to start a restoration. I just don't want to get started on a project and realize I bought the wrong truck. I'm looking for the dual real wheel, with a NP205(bigger and better transfer case), limited slip in the front and Detroit locker in the rear, and towing capacity is not a concern. I believe i'm looking for the m1028a2 but i'm not 100% sure. Any help would be much appreciated!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A state is requested in your location as per the rules.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1028a2 is a dually conversion with a NP205 transfer case, converted from a M1031 or M1028a1 NSN 2320-01-295-0822
M1028a3 is a dually conversion from a M1028, NP208 transfer case. NSN 2320-01-325-1937
Both have Dana 70HD rears with a Detroit Locker and the same front differential, Dana 60 with Spicer Trac-lok

hunterfinn

M1028a2 is a dually conversion with a NP205 transfer case, converted from a M1031 or M1028a1 NSN 2320-01-295-0822
M1028a3 is a dually conversion from a M1028, NP208 transfer case. NSN 2320-01-325-1937
Both have Dana 70HD rears with a Detroit Locker and the same front differential, Dana 60 with Spicer Trac-lok
Thank you! Now you have any idea where I can get one? haha

PETE BALLARD

i have read the wiki and multiple post and i am still some what confused. The m1028 is a single rear wheel, i get that. When it comes to the a2 and the a3, which has what transfer case, axles, and types of lockers? I really like the dual rear wheel look and would like to start a restoration. I just don't want to get started on a project and realize i bought the wrong truck. I'm looking for the dual real wheel, with a np205(bigger and better transfer case), limited slip in the front and detroit locker in the rear, and towing capacity is not a concern. I believe i'm looking for the m1028a2 but i'm not 100% sure. Any help would be much appreciated!
take a look at the wiki - it gives you a look at the m1008 - thru m1030

Coal Cracker

I also read the NP208 is chain driven and therefor is a weaker transfer case? Is this not true?
Not exactly, the only reason the NP205 was used in those models was for the PTO drive. I've had/built both, and they're both plenty robust, did you ever see the size of the Chain? it's about 2in. in dia.. I'd take either.

Last edited:

gmjunky87

That's what I thought. Somebody was arguing that he had one without it. I guess the military either swapped it or someone else did. Or he didn't actually have an m1028

M-1028

I've busted a 208 tcase, I had 3 cracked cases at my shop in the past. It's actually common when you take them off road a lot. Other that the stock front outputs 205's take a beating and ask for more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks