• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M103/M105 replacement spring hanger options

Demoh

I have a few M103/M105 trailers that I am modifying and am using these because I need the narrow frame. All of the M101 trailers and the aluminum ones I have area all too wide for a particular application. (I have 77 inches to jam an 84 inch trailer.) Application is 1 or 2 MEP-803a generators per trailer, primarily stationary but would need to be transferred maybe once or twice a year)

Not worried about the axle, I have axles laying around, but the spring hangers are my big problem. I need to find alternative hangers (TM 9-2330-213-14&P, page 322, Figure 28, part 1 in diagram, part #:7979525).

Reusing the springs since they are already pretty stout, Id like to also reuse the hangers and pins because they are greasable. 1 option is boxing the frame, flipping the hangers inboard after moving forward 4-5 inches to clear the crossmember. If I do this I can see possible stability issues because the springs are pretty far inboard.

I would like to put the springs under the framerails with the same style hanger that the M101 trailers have, but those hangers are only 2inch wide instead of 2.5.

Does anybody have any alternative hangers that are stout enough and go under the rail or ideas? Redneck has hangers for 2.5 inch springs but I am thinking for the price of those ($200 for a set that comes with extra pieces that go in the trash) I could weld up some plate to make some hangers. That would do away with the greaseable pin and go with a 1" bolt, but I dont think the spring is sleeved so compression from the sides would ruin make the molded in sleeve bind and eventually tear it out because the old hanger doesnt use side compression as a holding force, it just holds the pin in place for the spring to float on.

If I could get M101 style hangers for 2.5" wide springs and 1" greasable pins I would be ecstatic. Resorting to going inframe or making my own hangers makes me rather grumpy.

Ideas?

tobyS

The spring hangers from a deuce front end are under the frame and are the same spring size/width as the M105 I believe.

I need additional M105 hangers and springs if you end up with some surplus.

FYI, here is an M105 frame with bolster wheels and one with duals mounted. The duals are 2" wider than the legal limit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Demoh

Ill look into the deuce hangers. Quick searches appear to be what I am looking for. Does anybody have a source for these that dont include the springs and U bolts? Anybody know which TM I might look at so I dont spend 3 days reading?

I saw those pics from browsing around while searching, That could be an option, do you have the tiresize for what is pictured?

Yesterday I tried some fitment tests with the M101 axle I have laying around and I was disappointed my 8x6.5 16" dually wheels dont fit AT ALL (hits drum in 2 areas and backing plate almost simultaneously) and my 19.5 wheels hit the drum. From a SHTF perspective I would be limited on using the M101 axle unless I swapped the brake assembly. Guess that axle is out.

tobyS

That is a 16.5 "bolster" wheel with 12.5 x 16.5 tire. It's the wheel used on the M1061 trailer. Duals are 9.00x20" (but 8'8" wide).

I don't know about a source for the deuce spring mounts but some of the vendors will probably have them. I doubt they are as popular for bobbing as the 105's. Put a parts wanted classified up.

I could get a couple photo's and dimensions off the front of my M35A3 if that would help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks