• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1030M1 Motorcycle Wins First Place Award At North Georgia Motorcycle Show

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I entered my M1030M1 USMC diesel motorcycle in the North Georgia Motorcycle Show today in Blairsville, Georgia. I won first place in the Special Interest Category. They didn't have a category for military motorcycles. The weather was somewhat poor. I had to ride to the show in the rain, but the turnout was very good. A lot of very nice motorcycles, but I was the only one with a military motorcycle. I had to answer a lot of questions from a lot of people and participated in the filming of a video describing and discussing the bike. The local newspaper also took photos of the bike. There was definitely more interest in my M1030M1 than any of the other bikes. Although the weather was poor, I still enjoyed riding the bike to the event. :D:D:D

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary congrats on the win darned nice looking bike and something that MOST people never knew even existed! Your activities and participation make us all look good, THANKS!!!!
Karl

JMP308

8)Great looking 1030, I am getting one , I have some questions ,I need fuel filters , and oil filters and capacity , and cooling system capacity , any help would be appreciated , little info out there, is there any part numbers that I can cross reference ? thanks James peters, --text--- 918-403-9814

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1030M1 Specs

The oil filter is a standard KLR650 filter. I found mine on Ebay. I haven't changed the fuel filter. I did drain and refill the fuel tank as I had no idea how old the existing fuel was. I also add Optilube XPD to the fuel for lubricity. Low sulfur fuel is BAD for the diesel engine fuel system. I've attached a specification sheet for the M1030M1. The oil for the M1030M1 is very hard to find. You should use AMSoil Series 3000 5W-30 oil. A good friend of mine was involved with the development of the M1030M1. HDT worked with several oil companies before settling on this oil based on lubricity and failure rates. I had to order my oil online on Ebay. I couldn't find it in any stores. The problem is that this oil is legacy oil that is different from more modern formulations. Make sure the engine is hot before draining the old oil. Make sure you have someone holding the bike vertically while adding oil as it is easy to add too much and it is sometimes difficult to see the oil level in the sight glass. After filling the engine with oil, ride the bike and check the oil again.

The battery for the M1030M1 is an Odyssey PC625. It is a tight fit. You will either need to trim the fins off the bottom portion of the outside edge of the battery for the clamp, or do what I did. You can purchase a longer nylon spacer at your local hardware which will move the battery clamp outwards slightly and will allow the battery to be clamped in place without any battery modification. It also looks better. Good luck.

Attachments

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Gary congrats on the win darned nice looking bike and something that MOST people never knew even existed! Your activities and participation make us all look good, THANKS!!!!
Karl
Ditto on that, I for one thought (That) only the Royal Enfield from India was one of the only diesel motorcycles in production.
I will be looking up the data and specifications for sure. Thank you for the post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks