• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 build

dunedigger

I had been considering building a truck out of all my spare parts laying around. I found a 1031 utility bed that I ended up buying. I was going to use a 3/4 ton setup I had for the frame. Recently I ended up winning a M1008 that was in terrible shape so that ended up being the drivetrain I am using. I took it down to the frame and put my near rust free cab on it. Got the front clip almost put back together now with near rust free parts. My doors are all dented in for now, looking for a better set. Runs great, I'm going to use this engine until it gives up and I have a spare 32k engine as a backup. Can't wait to get the box on, I have to wait til the weather warms up to put it back in green. Atleast the fire dept didn't paint the inside red. Sorry for the poor pictures, started on this around Thanksgiving and it's been dark and cold every time I get a chance to work on it.

dunedigger

does it have the gen stuff inside of it?

No, apparently the guy that bought it just wanted the generator. It was a pto style. He said I could buy it if I wanted it but don't really need it. I was thinking about a small generator instead. The only part he gave me was the throttle control that revs up the 6.2 under load.

Solid Gold

Nice idea on the rusty truck bed - that's going to look good when it's done.

This may be the place to ask on the pricing of an M1031 utility bed - apologize on the thread break.

Removing mine to sell - what is a fair asking price?

The utility bed seems to be a worthy conversion - lots of storage space for M1008 chassis.

Take more pics - looking forward to seeing your project finished.

dunedigger

I saw the utility bed on craigslist and it was local. I have always wanted one but once I saw it in person I was hooked on the idea. I'm an electrician by trade and it seems to handy to not have around. The guy was real firm on his price, I managed to budge him down though to $475. More than I wanted to pay but I felt it was fair and it's not like there are a lot of options to shop around. Honestly I would have paid more. I have seen two others locally for $600 but not sure if they sold? , but that would be what I would ask if it was me selling it. Just got my new rear leaf springs on, new spring bolts and u bolts. Now it's time to get the box on. Hope to get to that yet this weekend.

dunedigger

I got the box on tonight, have to get more pics in the daylight tomorrow. I saw the stock M1031 bed has body mounts between the frame and box, still have to come up with something to put between the frame and box, don't have the factory mounts. Sure wish it was warm enough to paint.

Attachments

dunedigger

Got the new shocks on, rear bumper, soldered up my wiring for the box lights, finished up the small stuff keeping me off the road and took the maiden voyage today. Drives great. It shifts rear harsh. I'm thinking this might be normal with the low gearing going to search some on that. Real fun to drive. I drove a M1009 for years but this is my first military truck. I'm not used to the 6.2 reving up that far. 55 seems to much. I felt ok at 50. I can't believe the guys that say they have gone 70. Just seems too much to me. I didn't get any pics before the sun went down. Try again tomorrow to get some more pics.

allrevup

Got the new shocks on, rear bumper, soldered up my wiring for the box lights, finished up the small stuff keeping me off the road and took the maiden voyage today. Drives great. It shifts rear harsh. I'm thinking this might be normal with the low gearing going to search some on that. Real fun to drive. I drove a M1009 for years but this is my first military truck. I'm not used to the 6.2 reving up that far. 55 seems to much. I felt ok at 50. I can't believe the guys that say they have gone 70. Just seems too much to me. I didn't get any pics before the sun went down. Try again tomorrow to get some more pics.[/QUO

Usually I cruise at 50 MPH, but Every so often after a fresh oil change, lube and aditves, I run her up to temp and flog her for a mile or so...I am not sure about the RPM but running 37" tires I have seen 83 MPH in the GPS and still climbing

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gear Ratio Calculator

Just plug in your numbers and you will see that you don't ACTUALLY go over redline (3250) until you pass 65 mph...

At least with 4.56 gearing...

and 235/85/16 tires...

but if you are NOT used to the screaming of the 6.2 at that rpm it DOES sound like it's getting ready to come apart...

If you want to go faster than 65, just swap in new ring & pinion gears - anything under 4.10's you WILL have to change the carriers out in both axles. I had a buddy that did that. Went with 3.53's and does 75 mph all day long...

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dunedigger, good work on the truck - but after Christmas is over and you're done using this as the sleigh, we urge you to return the truck to OD green or camo, and lose the red. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks