• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Cold start Advance and ECM For Generator/Alternator

U1100L

I believe the wiring is still classified for the Alternator system.?
Simply put dose the E.C.M. on the Alternator override and or govern the Cold start advance/high idle circuit?

I can see how in operation it can easily cool down and go to high idle. Then a load put on the Alternator and Governor and cold start advance fighting each other. Or am I over thinking this?

Crash_AF

Overthinking it. The ECM controls the governor attached to the throttle. No electronic controls of the engine directly.

I have the TMs for the 1031 SECM. PM me with your email and I'll send them to you.

Later,
Joe

Last edited:

U1100L

I do have a clipped wire at the advance and solenoid ( has a butt connector on it) and it is the same type wire that is with the E.C.M. wire loom.

Seen it in pics. A couple of postings talking about gov. linkage, it's in the background of the photo stinkin' butt connector too..?

Skinny

Look at my M1031 build thread. I fabricated a new pushrod if you need one...can get some ideas from my posts. If you are having trouble with yours, I would highly suggest checking all of the safety switches for proper adjustment and the powers/grounds at the governor control unit in the SECM box. Once those check out OK...then go to the next step.

Your clipped wire is the IP solenoid. On the M1031, it goes back to the SECM box. When the PTO is engaged, the IP gets power to operate only when all of the safety switches are engaged. If you miss something, the IP shuts off. You will see a glass fuse in the SECM box which is your IP fuse. I replaced mine with a standard ATO blade fuse holder due to connection issues. It may look hacked into but this is the OEM wiring.

U1100L

Thanks for the advice, slowly getting there. Alot of nice original dry gaskets and or lack of. But that wire is bugging me..
Where I find something on the site that is of interest it gets printed. I got a couple of your postings as well.. Thank you

dependable

Hi Skinny, on my 1031 that wire goes to cold start advance circuit. I just checked the manual's wire diagram and it says 'to FS1' fuel solenoid valve, so I'm not saying you are wrong. Have run into enough errors in the manuals to have my guard up though. My 1031 is fully operational and I don't think the wires were ever hacked. Later today I'll check my friend's 1031 to see how that one is wired.

Skinny

Fuel solenoid valve is the 12v feed to the IP which allows the IP to function or turn the engine off.

12v engine running, 0v engine off

Your wires are not hacked, they are clipped on the assembly line and the IP feed (fuel solenoid valve) goes into the SECM box where the generator control box is. Only the M1031 is like this because the generator governor has the ability to shut the engine down. It doesn't do anything to that circuit during normal operation. It is only used as a safety precaution when the generator is running with the PTO engaged.

dependable

Linked to the green wires. One goes to IP cold start timing advance, one goes to cold start solenoid plunger, and green wire goes to cold start sensor switch behind passenger side head. I think ECM just bypasses cold advance circuit when governor is activated. Engine is supposed to be warmed up before engaged anyway. But I guess they don't want there Hertz to be off if someone is in a hurry. System will work with that wire disconnected.

Skinny, is yours hooked to the red wire on IP, or the light green ones?

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Mine is hooked up to the green wire, I believe it is a safety wire so the governor won't work when the high idle is active, atleast that is how mine works.

Keith_J

No, the wire going to the timing advance and cold idle dashpot is a MISTAKE. The purpose of this wire is to kill the engine if the transfer case is not in neutral. Wired incorrectly, it will cause all sorts of problems including fast idle and injection that is too advanced when warm!!!

Also, look at the governor linkage part attached to the injection pump throttle lever, it interferes with full closing of the throttle. I ground the corner off of mine so the idle set screw now controls the idle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks