• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1031 cucv death wobble still happening

tacticalloader

i got the death wobble. i replaced the springs and bushings on the king pins up top on each side. the old springs were about a 1/4 " shorter than the new ones from years of use. the death wobble stopped and everything felt tight for the last several weeks.
now my death wobble is back and worse than before (happening more frequently at a greater range of speeds ie 15-35 mph) . i am not sure what to do next. it was so nice to have a tight front end. are there bushings on the bottom that could be worn out? can i shim the new springs with big washers to get more pre-load? the king pins looked clean and symetrical with no visible indicators. could they be worn out? is there a lower part that could be bad. please help? you guys are great and always helpful.
p.s.- everytime i post , someone indicates somewhere its already answered. if i could have found the answer i wouldnt post, so take it easy on the (its already there) remarks. this is after all what a forum is for. thanks guys- Jeremy:cry:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How is the steering shock and the tie rod ends from pitman arm to steering arm on street side and check for loose bolts on steering box.

tacticalloader

also to note: the springs and bushings came from off road designs, the tire pressure is equal everywhere, the steering stabilizer is new, the rotors are not warped, the tie rods all feel very tight, no wheel bearing play, the tires were balanced a few months back (radial 37 goodyear military tires) although the wobble may have affected them, the steering box is tight, as are the block and bolts, no frame cracks and new shocks all around. all castle nuts up front are tight and pinned, and when jacked on stands, i cant get any play up and down or side to side. it feels super tight when on stands. im confused:cry:

tacticalloader

one last thing to add. now that the wobble is back it seems to always initiate from bumps on the passenger side front. i can hit the same obstacles with the driver side front without it starting its crazyness.

Skinny

If you can verify that hitting one tire on one particular pot hole or bump will cause the death wobble, then swap tires left to right and front to back to verify that the problem still exists. If it doesn't, it's tire related. If it does, then it isn't a tire issue. Tires even when balanced or in good condition tread wise can still do funky things.

OK, silly question time. did we check the alignment? Next suggestion. Get yourself some good sturdy plastic zip ties and if you can manage it, sling a small digital camcorder (about $60 at Big Lots) up under the bumper in a good position to see across the front end components, start it recording and go hit a bump and induce the wobble. If you get the cam mounted solidly enough, you should be able to get a video record of what's causing your shake. You might even duct tape a broom handle across the front bumper at a downward incline and sling the camera on the end of it. Just make sure it can't shake off once the wobbling begins. You may need to get a little creative with your mounting method, or even use a closed tripod zip tied to the pumper or grill guard, but this will be the best way to find out what the heck is going on down there. Let us know how it goes!
:driver:

HKjk

Shim the king pin springs about a quarter inch with washers that fit in the cap. My 1031 on 37's did the dance of death about the 30-45mph range. None of my tires are balanced as I am on gravel 90% of the time, the washers cured the wobble.

tstone

I agree with HKjk. I have had this issue with several CUCVS; I suspect that your new spring may not be of the same grade as the origional and may have compressed enough to problems you are having. In the past I have replaced the bushings and shimmed the original springs with large flat washers and have had great results.

Skinny

Good point on the shims. I will remember that when I do the kingpins on my 1031. Another point on the alignment. Everyone says old straight axle rigs can be done with a tape measure but most need alittle more toe in than stock to keep wobble at bay. Always worth $50 to have it put on a rack.

Gripy

Did you every fix your problem? I am also still experiencing death wobble even after replacing the kingpin bushings and springs, with two washers for pre-load.

ETA: just found my front driver shock to have internally failed. Will be replacing it and it should fix my problem.

Last edited: