• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 CUCV transfer case (NP241C)

Founas

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I bought M1031 couple of years ago from military surplus in US. I live in Europe, so excuse my English, please. I found this forum very helpful, but now I stuck with a problem. I prepared my Chevy for a long trip to very South - East of Europe thru mountains, forest, etc, unfortunately my transfer case died after first 100 miles. I bought the truck with NP208 (there should be NP205 as far as I know). I think those guys from the army change it for NP208, because they put the H1 tires on the truck and the NP208 has lower ratio when it is in low range. Because the broken NP208 looks real bad inside, I decided to buy a new transfer case. I was thinking about a NP205 with the 3:1 upgrade, but it seems pretty expensive to buy and I think the NP241 should be strong enaugh. From what I read it has 6 gears in the planetary gear (instead of three in NP205 ) and slightly lower ratio then the 208.
Now the question. Because I live overseas and here are almost no CUCVs, I will buy the transfer case in US. I was decided to buy a used one with a rebuild kit and rebuild it by myself. The problem I'm facing is, I have no idea what transfer case (what donor of car) I should look for. From what I have read here in the forum, it has to be NP241C with passenger drop and 32 splines. But is there anything else I should focus on? If you guys know, from what car it will be direct swap, it will help a lot. I don't really care if it has cable or electronic speedometer, as I will build a new dash this year anyway. But as I will ship it overseas it will be real bad, if it will not fit when it arrives.

Thank you for any help, this forum is just perfect.

Here are some pictures of my M1031 when it was prepared for a trip if you are interested.IMG_5141.jpgIMG_5143.jpg

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I can't provide input on the transfer case issue. However, I did want to say that I really like your CUCV bed, very cool design! It would be great to see more detailed pics of it, in a new thread.

BTW - welcome to the site!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be from an 89-91 3/4 ton suburban. You may find one from a Blazer but nearly every one of those would be 27 spline. It's a tough find honestly.

Founas

maddawg308: Thanks, no problem, I will make more pictures and post it somewhere. It was modified as a dump truck.

Recovry4x4: Thank you, I will check eBay and craiglist. Do you know, if some newer (after 93 with electronic speedo) will fit?

Matt Kahle: Np, I will make some pictures and post it here. Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 91 will all be a drivers drop. To get the passenger side drop you need it will have to be an 89-91 3/4 ton burb. All the blazers (stock anyways) will be 27 spline. All the old body one tons will have a 205. Might find a 27 spline and change input. These folks have parts and rebuilt units. http://www.midwesttrans.com/NP241.html

ProPower

The GM241 was made from 1988-2000 but only made the passenger side drop from 88-91. Most of 88-91 cases were the 27 spline units but they can easily be converted over to 32 spline units because most all of the internal parts all the way till 2000 are the same! You can also use the input shaft out of any 1 ton with a 4l80e or the stick shift NV4500 for they are 32 spline! Or you can order the input shaft new from Midwest Transmission Center Inc (888-824-2012) for around $80. There's two different size input bearings so you will need to make sure you order the correct one!

Skinny

The 205 has no planetaries since it is gear drive. Even though the NP241 has 6 planetaries which is pretty rugged for a chain drive tcase, you still can't compare them.

I personally think your best bet would be to just bite the bullet and pay the premium for the NP205 the way you want it.

richingalveston

Either buy the 205 lomax, or get a 205 with ord magnum box if you are going to spend a lot of money.

I don't think the tire size will matter to either the 205 or 208, the .5 difference between the two is not noticed as much with the low rpm high torque diesel.

For durability which should be your primary concern for the trip you are planning, get a normal 205.

If you want to be cheep and have room then get two 208's so you can carry a spare or have it somewhere ready to be shipped to you if needed. Unless the bed is extremely heavy or you are packing heavy the 208 should last for many miles.

Founas

OK, here are pictures of the dead 208.

004.jpg003.jpg002.jpg001.jpg005.jpg

Thanks guys for your advises, I really apreciate it. I was reading lot of posts and I still think the 241 is a best option (money vs durability). Correct me if I'm wrong, but 241 is pretty cheap has a good low ratio and it's pretty durable. I do offroading with the truck and carring heavy loads time to time, but nothing as rock crawling. From what I found the 241 should be able to carry 5500ft/lbs, chain drive for front axle is not an issue from point if there is anything wrong with the chain, I can still drive the car.

The 208 died because my friend which should check oil levels before I left forgot to check the 208 and there were almost no oil. So this was not fault of the transfer case but a human.

Anyway, I like 205 lomax, but $1600 vs $500, well it's pretty easy calculation. I want to buy a banks turbo kit and the difference on transfer case is about half price of the kit

maddawg308: I was not able to make pictures of the bed yet, but I have a video on Youtube made few years ago, where you can see the bed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70r2Q4H0OdY

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The particular 241 you seek was only available 3 years and only in 3/4 ton burbs so it's not going to be that easy to grab.

Founas

Do anyone of you have an experience with this seller? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-N...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e90cf4ec8&vxp=mtr

It seems as he sold lot of transfer cases and his rebuilded 205 are cheap ($600), so I would consider the 205. I just found out on the internet that rebuilded 205 are usually about $1000 plus.

Jim Hunter: I partly live in CA, thats why. Also what is your price of 205/208? I found one 208 in Germany and the Polish guy living in Germany asked for used 208 unknown condition 790EUR (about $1100). In other words, yes I would buy it in Europe, but I know the prices in US, I don't need it fast and I'm shipping lot of stuff from US pretty often, so price matters.

richingalveston

The price on the 205 varies a little with model. A gm passenger drop figure 8 bolt pattern is cheaper than the round bolt patern. The figure 8 needs an adapter plate to mount to TH400. The figure 8 will bolt right up but must have proper short input shaft. There is also a large and small input bearing model. you have to have the large or you can have the small bearing hole machined to fit the large bearing (I did this with mine). YOU also need to make sure you have the correct drive shaft yokes.

There are many combinations of input shafts you can run on 205 and two different mounting bolt patterns.$1000 is probably for the round pattern with correct shaft. The $600 sounds like it might be figure 8, 27 spline.

If you install the 205, you will have driveshaft changes because the 205 is almost 6 inches shorter so it will not be a direct bolt in. cross member may have to move and be modified also. My ORD Magnum with 205 is almost the same length as the 208.

If you go 205, I would just find a good donor case. Buy the rebuild kit from ORD or others. purchase the shaft and adapter you need if any.

My 205 small bearing 27 spline 205 cost me $300. The rebuild kit, correct input shaft and spacer will run another 3 to $500.

I have my old working 208 I will sell for $175 plus shipping.
The $208 is your only cheep way out and for what it is worth it will do what you need if you keep it maintained.

richingalveston

just read the add. you will need adapter and the 32 spline upgrade. not sure why he is saying this unit will bolt to a th400 when it does not have correct bolt pattern or input shaft.

86m1028

Do anyone of you have an experience with this seller? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-N...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e90cf4ec8&vxp=mtr

It seems as he sold lot of transfer cases and his rebuilded 205 are cheap ($600), so I would consider the 205. I just found out on the internet that rebuilded 205 are usually about $1000 plus.
I have dealt with that seller & have had excellent experience with him.

You can contact him & he will build whatever you need & then list a buy it now ad.

Last edited:

drbeeper17

Not sure if you ever decided on which transfer case route you were going, but I have a NP241C passenger side drop, 32 spline case. It will bolt right up to where the NP208 was and is the exact dimensions as the NP208, so no driveshaft modifications. It is also a mechanical speedo, but I do have the VSS tail housing too. I just swapped out my NP208 to a NP241 in my M1008 and it only took about 2 hours. Better gearing, better oiling, better shifting, and better sealing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks