• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 dies when PTO is engaged

woodyNla

Tried to engage the PTO with the transfer case in neutral and the truck died immediately. Did this several times in fact. Sounds as if electrical power is cut because there is no grinding being I have it still in park. Is there a safety switch preventing the truck from running if something is wrong?

brianrbull

Hellow fellow M1031 owner. The tranny needs to be in either N or Drive for the PTO to spin. Transfer case in N I am not home right now to double check. ( I only have used the system fonce) There is a safety system on these to prevent you from doing potentialy hazardous things. Not sure if that is killing the engine or not. I do know there is a switch on the 4wd selector Had to bypass that and the overspeed module to get power on mine. Hope this helps

woodyNla

Well it seems logical to engage the PTO in park, then put the thing in drive. It sure would save grinding the gears as they mesh. I am thinking that maybe the switch on the transfer case selector isn't doing it's thing when it is in neutral and it thinks it is still in gear.

SmokeyDod

1) Do NOT start engine yet.
2)Put your 205 transfer in "N" Neutral ONLY
3) Engage your PTO by pulling all the way out the Large Blue Knob next to the black out lights
4) Start your engine and if its cold , let it idle until the Hi-Idle cuts off and engine idles normal.
5) Pull your transmission into 2nd gear ( "D" will work but I think instructions say 2nd gear)
6) THEN & ONLY THEN MOVE your lever to to ENGAGE the PTO
Your engine should rev up higher on it's on to the 1800rpm that it suppose to run the PTO. JUST to let you know, IF (BUT DO NOT DO IT) you was to engage the PTO while your transmission is in "N" Neutral, YOUR ENGINE WILL START RUNNING WIDE OPEN ALONG WITH THE GENERATOR. NOT GOOD FOR ENGINE NOR GEN.
Just for more info, don't try to control engine speed manuelly because you could have the gen putting out 200 volts when it should be 110-120V.
Let it run 3-4 minutes until it clears up the hertz. You watch the "Hertz" meter on you panel and when all the little white bars get lined up, then it should be working correctly.

I highly suggest you get a volt meter A/C / and check what's coming out of the outlets BEFORE plugging in equipment. The reason I mention about don't do with accelerator is that to start with I did and had plugged in a standard 120v drill, it was working seemed fine but whin I ckecked volts it was running on 190 volts.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Reactions: NDT

woodyNla

3) Engage your PTO by pulling all the way out the Large Blue Knob next to the black out lights
4) Start your engine and if its cold , let it idle until the Hi-Idle cuts off and engine idles normal.
5) Pull your transmission into 2nd gear ( "D" will work but I think instructions say 2nd gear)
Your engine should rev up higher on it's on to the 1800rpm that it suppose to run the PTO. JUST to let you know, IF (BUT DO NOT DO IT) you was to engage the PTO while your transmission is in "N" Neutral, YOUR ENGINE WILL START RUNNING WIDE OPEN ALONG WITH THE GENERATOR. NOT GOOD FOR ENGINE NOR GEN.
Just for more info, don't try to control engine speed manuelly because you could have the gen putting out 200 volts when it should be 110-120V.
Let it run 3-4 minutes until it clears up the hertz. You watch the "Hertz" meter on you panel and when all the little white bars get lined up, then it should be working correctly.

I highly suggest you get a volt meter A/C / and check what's coming out of the outlets BEFORE plugging in equipment. The reason I mention about don't do with accelerator is that to start with I did and had plugged in a standard 120v drill, it was working seemed fine but whin I ckecked volts it was running on 190 volts.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
I am not sure I follow what you are saying. The blue knob is what would engage the PTO. This , I understand. But you go on and state to not move a lever to engage the PTO? Are you speaking of the Governor switch by chance?

I will try it next time by engaging the PTO before I start it, but it seems it wouldn't be any different than having it at idle and in park before engaging the PTO. As for the Governor switch, I realize everything should be turning and in the proper gear before engaging the governor.

SmokeyDod

Yes, it is the gov switch, I had two of these and the one my son & I fixed up & drive has the switch panel missing in the dash. He figured out the wiring and put a flip switch next to the electrical panel board. So after we engage pto & put in 2nd or D, we go back to panel & flip the gov switch and then the engine revs up to the 1800rpm.

The only reason I pull the pto knob before starting engine, is to cut down on the "grinding" of the gears when engaging. If you do pull it when engine is idling, pull it quickly as you probably know if you try to be gentle it will grind a lot (just like when pulling transfer case into 4 LO)
If gen don't seem to act correctly, one place to look is at the micro switch that cuts on and off when you put trans into 2nd gear. It is located under the hood right under the steering column. It's on a special bracket attached to shifter rod that goes to your transmission.

woodyNla

Yes, it is the gov switch, I had two of these and the one my son & I fixed up & drive has the switch panel missing in the dash. He figured out the wiring and put a flip switch next to the electrical panel board. So after we engage pto & put in 2nd or D, we go back to panel & flip the gov switch and then the engine revs up to the 1800rpm.

The only reason I pull the pto knob before starting engine, is to cut down on the "grinding" of the gears when engaging. If you do pull it when engine is idling, pull it quickly as you probably know if you try to be gentle it will grind a lot (just like when pulling transfer case into 4 LO)
If gen don't seem to act correctly, one place to look is at the micro switch that cuts on and off when you put trans into 2nd gear. It is located under the hood right under the steering column. It's on a special bracket attached to shifter rod that goes to your transmission.
Thanks for the clarification about the gov switch. I kinda thought that is what you meant. Also, thanks for the info on needing to put it in 2nd instead of drive. I am currently attempting to figure out why it is a pain to start. I found all glow plugs bad, replaced those with AC60Gs and also installed a momentarily on push button switch to bypass the controller. Have to crank on it for a while before she fires off, but then she dies and crank again and as soon as she fires off again, give her just a nudge of accelerator to keep her running. Being I am still on the tank of fuel that was in it when I picked it up, I am leaning towards it being funky fuel.

SmokeyDod

Yea, it could be fuel, but usually diesel will last a time. I had problem with 1 M1008 that it was hard to start and would run 3-4 min or maybe 5-10 then cut off. Had air in fuel lines. After cking many things, finally had to drop fuel tank and found out that the sock on end of pickup in tank was completely stopped up and that a whole lot of crud was in the bottom of tank. Throwed a bunch of rocks in tank with some diesel, shook out & back several times then rinsed tank out good. Cleaned off sock , put back together and no problems. Just one thing to consider.

Have you made sure you don't have air in fuel lines?

woodyNla

Found out that the GP relay is intermittent. Never seen one do that before. Ussually when they quit making contact, they continue to not make contact. Looks like it is off to NAPA for a relay now.

SmokeyDod

How long do you hold your PB switch in before you try to crank it? (I hold down 10 secs)
If it don't start & run after about 5-10 secs. of cranking, something is wrong.
I would hold PB down again for about 1/2 the time you did on 1st try.
If it don't run then, you need to look in other areas. To me I would go in this order.
1) Make sure glow plugs are getting power and that they are getting hot.
2) Make sure solid stream of fuel (no spitting of air etc) is coming out of fuel filter.

lavarok

HOPE THIS HELPS.
According to the TM, here are the proper steps.

1] Park vehicle on flat terrain.
2] Set parking brake.
3] Ground the vehicle using the ground stud mounted on the control panel.
4] Ensure all circuit breakers are OFF.
5] Start the truck.
6] Let warm up for 5 minutes.
7] Put Tcase lever in N
8] Pull PTO knob out completely and observe that the PTO Indicator light is on.
<caution> DO not turn governor switch ON until gear lever is in D position.
9] Place transmission in D
10] Place governor switch to ON position. Motor will speed up and when regulated by the governor will settle at a constant speed.
11] Turn main circuit breaker on and observe that the freq meter reads 60 Hz +/- 2Hz.

To shutdown:
1] remove all electrical loads
2] turn main circuit breaker OFF
3] turn governor switch OFF
4] turn ignition OFF
5] push PTO knob in.
6] place transmission gear lever to park
7] restart truck and observe that the PTO indicator light is OFF
8] shut off truck
9] remove ground rod and wire
10] shift tcase to 2H and release parking brake.

ida34

The manuals are available as a download from the technical manuals section of the resource section at the top of the page.

woodyNla

The TM 9-4940-562-23P and TM 9-4940-562-13 are not released nor posted in the resource section as of yet. As I have seen others state, it sure would be nice to have them released. Looks as if the actual truck is being let out, they would release the TMs for it also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks