• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Front Bumper Winch?????

civiceg6sir

I saw some pics of a few M1031's for sale from a GL site and and 2 of them had a front winch mounted behind the front bumper with a hmmwv style slot for the winch cable. Does anybody know if that was a modification by the military or did some come like that from GM. The bumper looked like the slot was stamped/fabricated. It also didn't stick out any more than factory. Could these bumpers be found used and mounted on other CUCV including blazers? Thanks

48cj2a

No CUCV came from the factory with a winch, thats for sure. Added at the unit level, possible.
Actually one CUCV 1009 did but was put together by possibly the Skunk Works or other modifiers at GM.

Back in 1984/85 GM was a sponsor of the 4 Wheel & Offroad Jamboree and had one on display in the GM tent. I freaked one of the vendors in the tent out when I walked up to the truck, took out my keys and unlocked the door. Being in the ANG' I had a personal key and happened to have it on my regular key ring. You should have seen his eyes.

The CUCV had some special engine work done to the engine. All the seats were recovered in something canvas (camo I think) there was a custom center console with a bunch of radios in it and there was a front and rear winch. I think they were both Warn 12000lb models mounted in a one piece design simular to the Warn winch bumpers.

I have photos some where but will have to look for them.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked at that smyrna airport for almost 2 yrs and never saw a single cucv move.
They waited until you went home, then drove them around the block and parked them back in the same spot!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks