• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Generator 208 3 phase conversion?

armytruck63

We've made cheater cables at work to temporarily tap single phase from a 3-phase outlet.

With a generator, I would think you would have to be careful not to heavily load one phase with no load on the other two.

Last edited:

48cj2a

We made similar PDPs out of ammo cans in my unit for use with generators until we actually started get authorizations for the real deal PDPs. You should see these beauties now that we use with the Mep806.

Like armytruck63 said make sure you balance the load between the phases if you are using any heavy amp draw items. If its something small like power tools or a few lights it should not be a big deal.

res0wc18

We made similar PDPs out of ammo cans in my unit for use with generators until we actually started get authorizations for the real deal PDPs. You should see these beauties now that we use with the Mep806.

Like armytruck63 said make sure you balance the load between the phases if you are using any heavy amp draw items. If its something small like power tools or a few lights it should not be a big deal.

Please do share! Is there comercially available units to do this correctly? Does any member on here make such a thing. I know the gentleman who makes the digital generator contoller must have pretty darn good knowledge of these things.

Ideally I'd love to be able to plug into the 208 3 phase outlet and be able to power whatever without fear of damage.

48cj2a

The Leviton units you listed would be the commercial type and there are many choices - checkout Grainger for a good selection but they are pretty pricey.

This thread shows a similar way we did it in an ammo can enclosure if you can use your imagination a bit: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...er-distribution-panel-project&referrerid=8349

A quick google search for military power distribution panel and click the images option shows what we use today: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....0..0.0....0...1ac..64.img..0.0.0.iy4klFZeSY4

Skinny

Do you need to retain the 3 phase power? It's a 12 lead generator head which can be configured in numerous arrangements. I changed mine over to 120/240.

res0wc18

The Leviton units you listed would be the commercial type and there are many choices - checkout Grainger for a good selection but they are pretty pricey.

This thread shows a similar way we did it in an ammo can enclosure if you can use your imagination a bit: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...er-distribution-panel-project&referrerid=8349

A quick google search for military power distribution panel and click the images option shows what we use today: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....0..0.0....0...1ac..64.img..0.0.0.iy4klFZeSY4
Thanks for the info

I don't need the three phase much but would like to retain it incase I use a big amp item. Such is why I'd like to be able to plug and play.

On the military power distribution panels im sure they have one that is available to buy somewhere that would plug and play at more friendly prices?

maybe something like this except instead of the color coded cam lock type input connections it could have a hardwired interface to a male plug that could plug into the generator panel, or maybe a female input and male to male cord?

http://www.powerdistributiononline....a-to-15-duplex-receptacles-weather-resistant/

Last edited:

Skinny

I hate to say it but I think that you would be cheaper just to purchase an off the shelf 120/240v big box generator like a Generac than try to make what you have work effectively past a couple of small 120v loads. You can get a 5000 watt Champion which is decent for $500. That way you retain what you have on the M1031. This is the reason I just said screw it and converted over to 120/240v because I couldn't see a use for 3 phase since I have no industrial equipment to run with it.

res0wc18

I hate to say it but I think that you would be cheaper just to purchase an off the shelf 120/240v big box generator like a Generac than try to make what you have work effectively past a couple of small 120v loads. You can get a 5000 watt Champion which is decent for $500. That way you retain what you have on the M1031. This is the reason I just said screw it and converted over to 120/240v because I couldn't see a use for 3 phase since I have no industrial equipment to run with it.

I emailed that company they're just in seattle down the street from me and told them exactly what I want to do so well see what they say.

The CUCV setup is definitely much better built then anything sub 5k bucks and it comes with a truck that moves! Ha but seriously do the digital controller conversion and it will be much better operating controls. As it stands the stock m1031 panel has 90 amps of single phase 120 which is more than enough for most people.

Also what Is the true load KW rating of the generator on the 1031s? I'm guessing at least 10kw?

Last edited:

res0wc18

12 KW comes to mind on available power.
Yup 12kw peak 10kw sustained it looks like.

If I don't hear back from that company in seattle that sells the power distribution boxes by midday tomorrow I will call them. They have so many different options it's amazing to see what you csn buy ready made

dependable

Here is a project I made for my my 1031. You can also just re wire the 12 leads to a 120/240 configuration. Only problem with that is you would need a 1 phase motor for compressor.

Running a 6.2 to power a house uses lots more fuel and moving parts than an MEP though. The original 3 phase set up is pretty good for the remote shop power it was intended for.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?67300-Voltage-selector-switch-for-1031

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks