• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 generator engagement video.

CA_LEO

So I have absolutely zero knowledge of the M1031, unfortunately. I would love to have gotten one back when they were affordable. So is this the steps on how to engage the generator in the box?

dependable

I don't know how involved you want to get beyond simple start up. If you were making training film, you might mention ground rod, start w circuit breaker off. I wonder if anyone has ever got one of these from GL that actually worked without some repair of switches or other adjustment.

b4thundr

I don't know how involved you want to get beyond simple start up. If you were making training film, you might mention ground rod, start w circuit breaker off. I wonder if anyone has ever got one of these from GL that actually worked without some repair of switches or other adjustment.
i was thinking of doing a how it works vid as well to give guys a better understanding how each system works as well, stock system and mine.

b4thundr

You mean when it's running? If so I don't know, but when the needle is vibrating on 60 Hz on the electric panel then you're at the right RPM

Keith_J

what are the rpms supposed to be when engaged?
Depends on load on the generator. IIRC, somewhere between 1200 and 1500 RPM. Remember, the torque converter will provide some torque multiplication depending on load. Also slip.

The cogged belt drive and the PTO output both have some speed increases. The generator is a 4 pole so it must turn at 1800 RPM to output 60 Hz power.

Jlprober

Ok I'm pretty sure the the engine is over revving. What could be the issues there? If over revving would the Hz be different than 60?

Last edited:

Keith_J

Yes, the frequency is roughly proportional to engine speed. It should sound only a bit more than high idle. You won't hear much of a load unless you put on a 15 amp or greater 3-phase load. Or load each 15 amp 120 volt duplex outlet to near its maximum.

The governor gets its speed data from a sensor mounted on the transfer case mounted PTO. It is a Hall Effect sensor so it is possible it is out of adjustment and not picking up all the teeth so it is under reporting the actual speed, causing the governor to pull the actuator too much.

The other possibility is the governor actuator is over-adjusted, making it too sensitive. Does the engine hunt or overspeed, then underspeed? If so, it could be actuator misadjustment.

Do you have the wiring diagram placard on the generator compartment door? Follow that to make sure all components are connected under the panel cover. There is a ramp generator which partially compensates for the torque converter slip without overshoot (exceeding 60 Hz on startup). If disconnected, you will have issues.

jeffsnipes

Good information, I had a hard time figuring it out the first time.The only problem I have is the engine governer will not work with the generator everything else works.Do you think by revving the engine before you flip the pto switch it will help.Thanks jeff

tilac999

Good information, I had a hard time figuring it out the first time.The only problem I have is the engine governer will not work with the generator everything else works.Do you think by revving the engine before you flip the pto switch it will help.Thanks jeff
Mine is doing the same thing. What to check first? Thanks.

jeffsnipes

Got everything working I appreciate everyones help.My problem was the governer worked in neutral but not in drive.I had to tweak the shifter rod were it makes contact to the switch.In the engine compartment. Works like a champ.Now I`ve got a question,Someone cut the wire coming from the air compressor.It has 3 wires in it.I know one is ground and the other 2 are hot.I can make the generator work by grounding the neutral and tying the 2 hots together but what kicks the compressor out when it meets max psi.

tilac999

Do you have power to the #4 & 5 terminals on the controller? Those are the ones that go to the governor. You could check at the governor, but it is kind of near the fan.
I found a master on/off switch hidden under the hood. Also the electrical PTO switch under transfer case was bent and not engaging. All is good now. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks