• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 generator speed control

jbolty

Maybe someone that has a fully operational setup will chime in. Currently my generator puts out plenty of power but the speed control does not work. There are a couple of wires cut and it should be simple enough to trace those out but my main question is with the box in my first picture. Is something missing from there?

And is anything else obviously missing?

thanks

the wire connected to the fuse holder in this picture is labeled "22", there is not matching end for the holder.

should there be any other wires running thru the hold down in this picture.

Sarge29

in the first photo there is a relay missing and in the last photo there is a control box missing from the bottom front area and a circuit breaker missing from the top left. I will be able to help more when I get my 1031 home. I am trying to get the engine governor (speed control) working on mine. My generator works great but I have to manually rev the engine.

jbolty

in the first photo there is a relay missing and in the last photo there is a control box missing from the bottom front area and a circuit breaker missing from the top left. I will be able to help more when I get my 1031 home. I am trying to get the engine governor (speed control) working on mine. My generator works great but I have to manually rev the engine.

That bottom picture is old. The circuit breaker is there but teh screws were missing, sorry.

Same here. Lot's of electrical power but no rev. I might put in a hand throttle if it is a huge problem to get it working.

cheers.

jbolty

great, thanks. It's pretty obvious in that last picture that there was something screwed to the bottom right but I never noticed til it was pointed out.

Any help, tips and part numbers are much appeciated and if anyone has this stuff laying around PM with a price for it.

thx

jbolty

That helps a lot, thnaks.

I see a number on the relay. Are there any part numbers on the other thing? Any other info? maker name.

Or, you can just send me yours? :-D

cheers

jbolty

Followup. After getting some good info and part numbers from 1956_4x4 and some additional information from NDT(0) I have found several places that have the relay for $30-$50. The control box is a lot harder to come by. I found one place that *might* have one for $235 but they do not seem very interested in selling to a private individual. I know others are looking so I will post any findings. Meantime maybe someone will find one in a scrap pile or a part-out.

Cheers

Sarge29

Good luck in your search. I have not made any progress on my speed control problem. I am trying to get a copy of the TM's . If I can I will get it scanned for all of us to use.

jbolty

Good luck in your search. I have not made any progress on my speed control problem. I am trying to get a copy of the TM's . If I can I will get it scanned for all of us to use.

My understand is that the TM's are still classified, not sure at what level but at any rate not for public release.

What would really help is a scematic for that control box so we could maybe see if there is a civilian version that would work.

Cheers

SmokeyDod

Sarge, I noted u & jbolty was thinking of rev up eng to get power. Also said something about putting on a hand throttle. I don't think this is going to work because the govenor acutally increases the speed of the engine (6.2) when a load is put on the generator. For instance when I hook mine up to my house and say turn on my electric stove, you can hear the engine rev up for and instant, then settle back down after the initial amp draw has been reduced. You will either damage what ever you have plugged in to your panel or possible damaged some of the electronics. Since I live in upstate of SC maybe 60+ miles, give me a call maybe I can help My 1031 works great, if I can be of help let me know.

Mr. Awesome

I know this is a pretty old thread, but it looks like it was never answered. I currently just re-wired the governor system on a 1031 for work. I would need to know step by step what the truck is doing to tell you what is wrong. After re-wiring mine it did not kick up the governor and the problem was that the leads on my governor actuator were touching.

jbolty

I know this is a pretty old thread, but it looks like it was never answered. I currently just re-wired the governor system on a 1031 for work. I would need to know step by step what the truck is doing to tell you what is wrong. After re-wiring mine it did not kick up the governor and the problem was that the leads on my governor actuator were touching.

I have never followed up but there are definately parts missing. There is a local guy here that does commercial power and claims to have the parts but no time on my end.

Meantime thinking I might sell the truck anyway.

cheers

Last edited:

jbolty

Ok sounds good, if not I have the schematics and could walk you through it on PM's and I have a number for a company that makes the parts.

I am interested in the parts source. Even if I do sell the truck it would be nice to have it all working. As it is now I can run my welder (220v) but I need a helper to maintain engine RPM.

thanks

Mr. Awesome

i am interested in the parts source. Even if i do sell the truck it would be nice to have it all working. As it is now i can run my welder (220v) but i need a helper to maintain engine rpm.

Thanks
the company that is labeled on the parts has been sold off to a company called woodward generator. I believe that it is just a civilian company. So they might be willing to do business with you. But as a caution they may not, so try not to push the issue.

The black box you are missing is the over speed switch. I am not sure if giving you the part number is allowed or not since the schematics might be classified still. I will get back to you on that though.

markinnh

i have a m1031 with the wisconsin engine setup. Does the engine get sped up with the fast idle solenoid near the throttle linkage on the injection pump?...If so the manual shows this on the schematic and a switch would be easy to install....the solid state devices in your pictures could be current sensors?