• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Instrument Cluster Swap

iteration zero

Hi guys,

I just bought my first CUCV but I've owned a number of box bodies in the past. I want to edit the Instrument Cluster (IC) by replacing the large fuel gauge with a period correct low tach (4k to 5k). I also want to replace 4 smaller warning lights; GEN1, GEN2, Oil, 4x4 with oil pressure, coolant temp, trans temp, pyrometer (EGT) with period versions. Anyone here have experience with this? I would use a small period correct fuel gauge near the voltmeter.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

richingalveston

LMC has all the parts. best thing to do is get a used cluster that has all the gauges in it already. The wiring harnesses are different, you will have to make you own plug to the cluster, factory one does not work unless you change the wiring harness.

I have done it on my truck, I have posted the info, you can search my threads.

Rich

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just know that the light bulbs in gen 1 and gen 2 are part of the alternator excite circuits and you will have to address that if you eliminate them.

richingalveston

yes, you have to move the lights. I moved them to the lights in the tach. I also kept my other sensors on the motor and wired them all together into the check engine light. This has helped me once already when I was not watching the gauges. having a light come on really helps.

you can also change the lights to led but if you do, the dimmer does not work. with red, I don't need a dimmer. I would like to remove the glass from the cucv volt gauge, it does not look as good as the others because it has two pieces of glass to see through and it also affects the lighting so if I could fix that it would be nice.

Attachments

richingalveston

I looked through all the threads I could and could not find it either. I believe the info I posted went into a thread that was started by someone else. they were doing the same upgrade so I posted to their thread.
I looked through about 25 pages of subscribed threads and could not find it.

Get a used civy cluster to start with then get the small fuel gauge and large tach from LMC. The printed circuit board will be used for lights only. you will have to wire each gauge and tie that into the wiring harness. In the post the circuit board wiring and plug were somewhat decoded from the wiring diagrams. I also painted the inside of the cluster, put red led bulbs in it and moved the gen one and two lights. It took some time but not difficult to do. I wish I had a plug that I could have used, I have each wire from the cluster connecting to the wiring harness with its own crimp connector. A plug would be nice but It needs a lot of pins.

Sorry for not finding the thread I have a lot of subscribed threads to go through to find it.
Rich