• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 pto shaft removal help!

quiksilver1j

I have decided to remove the pto shaft and rePlace with the cover plate until I need the pto... I didn't think this would be hard at all , but it is. I simple can't just unbolt the pto from the transfer case because the shaft's bearing are supported by the truck's frame. The pto belt pulley has 3 bolts one one end .. I removed them all and tried to hammer the pulley from the shaft but it won't budge. I removed all of the set screws from the pto shaft (~4) but nothing will come apart. I suppose the splined shafts have rusted together.?

All I need to see is a exploded bill of materials or parts list but appearantly it is classified? Ahhh Can any one with working knowledge of these things offer any help. I'll keep hammering if that will help, but I want to make sure I'm not missing an easy trick.

Gov Junk

Can you take the 6 bolts out of the gearbox and just unbolt the pillow block bearing from the frame and remove the whole thing thing? I will look at mine when I get home.

quiksilver1j

Well that's what I wanted to do but the bearings are supported by the frame it's self. The pto shaft is inserted throughout the bearing supports (aka through the frame)
I can certainly get the pto bolts out. At this point the whole pto and shaft would be supported by the bearing mounts. I need to either disconnect the belt pulley from the pto shaft or remove the pto from the shaft in order to slide the shaft out of the frame support...

It would be really nice if this 26 year old technology would be declassified!

DrJekl

The drive shaft from the PTO can be removed from the PTO and the serpentine belt pulley shaft. It has a set screw in each end. Yank the PTO and cable, put the cover on, yank the drive shaft and you are done unles you want to take out the brace and serpentine belt drive. That is a PITA to pull but it can be done. I had to drop the exhaust from the frame to be able to clear everything. It is just bolted in place but has a decent degree of suck attached. They are easier to pull from the top if you have the bed off.

I needed the shaft out from the serpentine drive and it took a while with an air hammer out of he truck to get it out.

quiksilver1j

i do not want to separate the drive shaft from pulley as long as I can remove the shaft and pulley (together) from the truck. I don't mind leaving the mounts, but def want to remove the pto + shaft + drive pulley from the underside of the truck. I was afraid to remove the pto bolts first as I figured it would be impossible to get it off the shaft and I would have the pto still stuck on the shaft.
I will try removing the pto tonight, hopefully i can get the shaft out after the pto is removed

quiksilver1j

Well I was able to loosen 5/6 pto flange bolts. The one on the top is tough. You have to have the cresent wrench in a vertical position in order to access the bolt. this can not be done since the clearance between the pto and the floor pan is about 3 inches.

I guess I would need a very short cresent wrench (luckily the bolts are not seized)

Can any one recommend a tool to get the Top PTO flange bolt out with out removing the transfer case?

DrJekl

Well, you have to take the drive shaft out (the one that goes between the PTO and the serpentine pulley shaft) to get the shaft out. That shaft is pressed in and is a PITA to get out. It was a biatch to get out on a bench out of the truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just need to tap the u-joint at the pto to get it to separate from the pto shaft. Tap one side then spin it around and tap the other. Soak in WD40 first.

Darwin T

if you can wait until friday i will take a picture of the one i have that i am planning on installing this summer, before hurricane season. i have church tonight, will try to get the pictures thursday and post thursday night or friday.

Gov Junk

Sorry,you were right. The way it is bolted up it won't come off like I "ASSUMED". If you look in the end of the pulley that is facing the rear of the truck there are 3 threaded holes between the bolts holding the pulley on. On most of these pulley/ shaft setups I've seen these threaded holes are for "jack bolts". You should be able to thread your bolts in these holes and tighten them evenly and jack the pulley off. If that is not what they are for you could use them to install a slide hammer type puller.

quiksilver1j

Thanks for the info about the jack screws ... I assume my pulley has them as well. I'll check that out

Djerek.. Thanks for the info about the shaft being a pita to remove.. I will remove the truck bed (gotta clean up some surface rust in the frame and weld / seal some of the bed seams back together) so I'll remove the remaining spindle and support beam.

What I want to do is remove all components to the pto so that it doesn't collect debris and to be sure it will be in good working order when I need it.

Since I won't ever need the pto pulley near the rear of the bed (would like the shaft to terminate near the front of the truck... I might as well remove the brace while the bed is off.

I found a minature 80 degree angled open end wrench to remove the top pto bolt.
See the link below.. Ill let you guys know if it works.

Thanks for all the help this forum has some great members! Thanks guys/gals :)

DrJekl

If you are going to remove the mount anyway, leave it together. It was a pain to get the shaft out while locked in a vice! I would have to even try with it in the truck!

quiksilver1j

Thanks for the pics Dave ... I have to wait for my mini angle wrench to be delivered before I can get the to pto flange bolt out.. And then remove everything in a few weeks time.

quiksilver1j

Please help PTO hanging in mid air !

Well I was finally able to get the PtO off of the transfer case, but I can not disconnect the pto from the shaft or remove one of the u-joint pins. Please advise which to remove. I removed the allen set screw from the shaft coller but the coller will not budge. I have not tried removing the pins (as I do not see any snap rings). I am going to work on installing the pto cover. See pictures below.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks