• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Recovery from Redstone, AL

tgtaylor64

Getting prepared to pickup a M1031 from Redstone Arsenal next Friday morning. Plan is to tow it behind a Dodge 2500 back to Florence, SC. I will be taking AL and NW GA back roads until just north of ATL where I pick up I-75S to I-20E. Just wanted to see if anyone would be along that route in case of trouble. I also need a recommendation for a cheap but safe hotel near Redstone for Thursday night. Can someone tell me how to get to Gate #1?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FWIW, I'm located off I-20 near the GA/AL line. Can't help with hotel recommendations over there unfortunately as it's only a half day adventure for me.

Keith_J

Medium tow bar with proper feet or 1" OD x 3/4" ID bushings from Tractor Supply work well for towing 1031s behind a 3/4 ton modern truck. A magnetic trailer light set completes the package.

We flat towed mine from Ft. McCoy WI to Central Texas with little issue. Most eventful was breaking the trailer wiring harness which blew two fuses in the towing truck. That is when we also discovered a pinhole leak in the radiator so make sure the towing vehicle is up to the task. Braking is the most concern.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dittos on stopping concerns; the tow vehicle will not weigh much more than the towed vehicle. Check the tires on the truck you are picking up, if they are dry rotted, take it slow.

Matt1031

Just a suggestion....Hope by "towing behind" you mean putting on a trailer, because you're taking a big gamble flat towing an unknown condition vehicle nearly 500 miles. The overwhelming majority of the cucv's I've seen come from GL have 10+ year old severely dry rotted tires and bad wheel bearings aren't uncommon. I would strongly discourage flat towing, but if you must, at least bring four spare wheels with decent tires and swap the wheels out for the trip home. Also bring tools to drop the rear driveshaft because it's more than likely bent, and you don't want to flat tow a truck with a bent rear driveshaft. If you can find a dummy slip yoke to slip on the 205's tailshaft so it doesn't make a mess, bring that too. If not, just put a bag over it and duct tape the **** out of it.

Where I75&20 meet is not a good area to be broken down. I work in west end ATL and there are some rough areas. I'll be working in SC when you're going through, so unfortunately I can't offer any assistance. Best I can help is to warn you to try to plan your trip so that you go through ATL after 9pm or before 6am - you'll avoid a LOT of traffic.

*Technically* if you are flat towing an M1031 on public highways in AL, SC, or GA, you're breaking the law. A "Dinghy towed" vehicle is considered a trailer by DOT, so it needs to either be under the legal weight limit or have a supplementary braking system installed. (They make them for the RV market). The weight break for trailer brakes is 3000 lbs in Alabama and South Carolina, 1500 lbs in Georgia. An M1031 is well over all three states weight restrictions, so if you have an accident while flat towing, be warned- you will most likely be ticketed at fault and insurance isn't going to cover any damages.

tgtaylor64

Really good info! I was planning on bringing two rims/tires but the DOT business really got me thinking that a trailer is the way to go. I have recovered a M1009 from GA on one so it will not be a big deal. The M1009 would not have made the trip otherwise. Redstone GL said the vehicle starts and was driven onto the lot; but, it may have some of the issues you described, if not others! Thanks for the ATL info. The whole downtown I-75/85 connector is horrible at almost anytime of day!

soule64

Gate 1 is on the East side of the installation. Take I-565 to the Southbound 231/431 exit. Stay South on 231 around 4 miles and Exit West on Martin Road. Martin Road leads directly into Gate 1. Once you get through the gate, DRMO and GL is on Warehouse Road (left exit off Martin Road, 1 mile from Gate 1).

tgtaylor64

Hats off to Wreckerman and Royce for hosting me on my first trip to Redstone! Recovery went without problems. It was a slow drive back to SC due to weather and my overabundance of caution. I hope your journey was good back home also. Thanks guys!!

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It was great to meet another SS member (Tracy) and assist with his recovery.

I now have two wreckers holding down the sod in my backyard.

He has been invited (warned about) the GA Rally......we hope to see his new prize there this year.