• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 starter

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Asking who has seen different size shims on this starter for the 6.2 diesel.
I seen someone pulled one off of a 6.2 civilian type engine and that shim was probably a .150 thousands.

Thank you to everybody that might have some information.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Barrman

Is yours a reduction gear or direct drive starter motor? The redux units almost all say DO NOT SHIM. The CUCV and HMMWV manuals have a great part about how to determine if you need to shim and how much as well.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After measuring that shim I was wrong, it was only .090 thousands.
It's such a bear to get in there with the differential right in your face. I was wondering if there should be a tooth to gear gap for wire measurement that it should be. definitely don't want to sheer off some fly will teeth if you know what I mean.
Is that discussion in a TM?

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure which starter it is, I think it's the gear reduction style.
When turning it over/cranking it just sounds a little bit tight to myself, it looks like there's 2 thin shims in there now.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is yours a reduction gear or direct drive starter motor? The redux units almost all say DO NOT SHIM. The CUCV and HMMWV manuals have a great part about how to determine if you need to shim and how much as well.
Is this the document you're referring to??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks