• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 stuck in 4h

Monica

OK, I've got Dad's M1031 at the house, and the transfer case is stuck in 4h. To clarify how this MAY have happened, it had been towed behind a deuce. When Dad unhooked the towbar, the transfer case was still in neutral and it started to roll. He jumped in, hit the brakes, and THOUGHT he pulled the transfer case to 2H. Apparently, he overshot, and got it into 4H. Now it's locked.

We've tried locking the hubs, pulling forward, putting it in reverse, unlocking the hubs, Pulling forward and reverse again, jacking up one front tire, and jacking up both front tires. So far, nothing's been effective. The transfer case will not budge, even after taking it to friends with bigger hammers.

Anything y'all can think of that we missed?

Monica

Well, now there's a suspicious puddle under the CUCV, strategically near the Transfer Case, though I cannot see where the leak is. Looks like more than I'm willing to try to tackle, so I'm leaving it to Dad.

Jersey4x4

You may have cracked the case if it was rolling and in park and you just pulled the t-case in gear it will suddenly stop and something has to give. The civy aluminum cases break all the time from this. If you notice when it is still moving and put in park it will just click allot and not stop completely but if it is in park already it wont take a joke.

Jersey4x4

If it is a 205, and a stock shifter. It would have to be internal, but the 205 is fairly bulletproof. But didn't the M1031 use the 241 also? I think from memory, the main bull gear in the 205 is on the shaft with the aluminum cover/bearing support, that could have cracked and the shaft moved causing the jam. I know Off Road Designs web page has great pictures of the 205 and all the info you never need to know about it. If it is a 205, sure is strange to see a failure like that.

take of the pto cover and see.

Jersey4x4

Good to know. I am building a doubler from ORD and will be doing some upgrades to the shift forks and rails. so I will have so parts laying around real soon.

no it uses a 205 it has a pto for the generator. the 241 came out in 89. shift forks can skip on a 205 i have seen it.

deuceaid

Banned
if its a 205 the shift fork might have come off the gears and its stuck. (inside the case)
being a tractor mech,, I would say the operator went past the shift forks,,,, and more than likly a Detent ball fell out and got pushed thru the casing.....,,

I dont want to recount how many times I have had to pull off a shift cover because somone was TOO EAGER to find a gear............

deuceaid

Banned
ps...brakes,, or a nearby hill are used to stop a vehicle.then...brush,,,,then trees..... and wallmart shoppers....then a clutch ONCE the gears are alighned to the engine......

Monica

ps...brakes,, or a nearby hill are used to stop a vehicle.then...brush,,,,then trees..... and wallmart shoppers....then a clutch ONCE the gears are alighned to the engine......
I was not there to witness the incident, I don't know if Dad had it stopped before he shifted the transfer case, or not. I'll slide back under it, and see what I can about cracks, etc., to see if I can narrow anything down for Dad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks