• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1037 rear spring change? Any advice or parts list?

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1037 REAR SPRING CHANGE? ANY ADVICE OR PARTS LIST?

I did some research and found out that the upper rear spring perch and the springs are different in a M1037. They are 1 turn taller. I am thinking I can just add M998 rear springs and a spacer and maybe new shocks and I will be fine. I'd like to keep it as stock as possible to change back if I ever wanted to.

Has anyone done this? Is there anything I am missing about this idea? I am assuming I only have to drop the bottom swing arm to make this change.

Any help would be awesome....Thank you in advance.

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have the cast mounts and the M1037 springs, is there any reason I can't just use the M998 springs and spacers at the top? I am thinking if I use spacers at the top, that lower the spring to the same position that the M998 top spring mount does, I am thinking like a 2 inch spacer it would be the same as changing top mount no? Does the M1037 have different lower control arms and if so why? Also can I still use the same shocks? Any answers would be great....Thank you

Last edited:

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Retiredwarhorse, I think is saying that the newer HMMWV's have the cast mount and I can get the stock newer HMMWV spring and it will just go right in. I am still waiting from him to confirm.
Years - 1998-2006
P/N - 12342616
Tie Wrap - Gray
Spring Rate - Variable
Coil Diameter - 0.8 / 1.26
Usage - Standard 10,300/10,800 - w/o optional heavy duty equipment
I think this is what I need.

camoyj7

The variable rates don't fit the older style lower control arms very well. So what are you trying to do? Are you looking for a softer ride? I assume wanting to go with M998 springs that's what you're going for. A M998 is a 7700lbs chassis your M1037 is a 8660lbs chassis. The higher the weight the rougher the ride. Going to a 10,300lbs spring will increase the ride height and make it ride rougher without a load. The variable rate spring will ride softer than the 10300lbs non variable rate. Not sure on how much difference you're going to achieve with the variable rates over your stock springs. Steve will know best as he has done many Hmmwv's.

Vehicle Curb Weight
M998 / M1035 / M10387,700 lbs.
M966 / M1025 / M1026 / M10368,200 lbs.
M1043 / M1044 / M1045 / M10468,400 lbs.
M966 / M1037 / M10428,660 lbs.
M9979,100 lbs
M1097 / M1097A110,000 lbs.
M998A1 / M1035A1 / M1038A17,880 lbs.
M966A1 / M1025A1 / M1026A18,380 lbs.
M1043A1 / M1044A1 / M1045A1 / M1046A18,580 lbs.
M996A18,580 lbs.
M997A19,280 lbs.

papakb

I'm running an ambulance body on my 998 now and never changed the shocks when I dropped the body on. What I found is that the original springs liked a little bit of pre-load and the 1500# body did that just fine. I've had this thing on and offroad and it feels just fine to me.

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Camoyj7, In your first post to me you had referenced a post about someone doing the opposite of what I want to do. Well they changed the lower control arms, springs and top mounts to use the 8,660 lb springs. Here is my confusion. If they changed the lower control arm, why did they change it if as you say the older springs don't like the older lower control arm. What I am thinking is maybe the newer HMMWV's switched to using the lower control arm and top mount I already have and just changed the spring to the variable rate spring. That is why Retiredwarhorse was saying all I need to do is use the newer HMMWV spring. Either way I am trying to use my M1037 as an everyday driver which means mostly unloaded. I'd like to make the ride as soft as possible, so that is why I am changing the springs. If you are saying that the lower control arms ar the same as a 1990 M998 then what I should be looking for is used older M998 springs and M998 top mounts. So whiat do you think my options are at this point? And thank you for your help since this is all new to me. Do you know the part numbers for the old M998 springs and mounts?

camoyj7

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?158875-Putting-my-M998-back-to-a-M1025/page2&highlight=
This was my old Hmmwv. I swapped out the M998 springs for the 10300lb springs. I didn't change the lower control arms. The reason I did not use the variable rate springs is I didn't like the way they sat in the lower control arm. There is a raised ring on the lower control arm that holds the spring and the large diameter variable rate looked like it would not seat right. https://www.ebay.com/itm/M998-HUMME...ash=item4d3c953826:g:NK4AAOxyeglTZ23a&vxp=mtr this is the stamped spring buckets.
You should be able to find stock spring part number in the T.M.'s.

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Cam,

You don't still have those stock M998 springs do you? Lol... I been all over the TM's all I keep finding is part numbers for heavy springs. I will look again but if you still have your old springs or can help me find a PN, it would be awesome. There is so many springs out there and I want to get the right ones...Thanx again for the pictures...seems like an easy switch.

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I finally got around to changing out my rear M1037 springs. I would like to keep it as a pickup and those HD springs was like driving a hard tail HD!

I purchased 2 used A2 variable springs.

Here is a picture of my M1037 HD springs and the A2 variable springs side by side. The A2 is on the right.

20180806_100228.jpg

As you can see the HD and tne A2 springs are almost the same height, but have the same inner diameter. They fit perfectly into the M1037 cast upper spring bracket and fit the M1037 lower control arm. I did not change anything.

HD spring

HD spring coming out.jpg

Spring out.

spring out.jpg

A2 spring in.

A2 spring almost in.jpg

As you can see all you need to do is compress the spring about 2 inches and un-bolt the upper ball joint on the upper control arm and make slack in the vent line by un-bolting the clamps that hold them to help get the spring in and out. The lower control arm with shaft installed will not drop low enough to release without compression the taller A2 and HD spring.

A2 installed, new shocks both sides.

drivers side A2 installed.jpgpass side A2 installed.jpg

Oldest wrench in my box been carrying around for 40 plus years finally fits something! HMMWV Shock pin! lol

oldest wrench.jpg

This is how the "Thor" looks now.

20180729_170614.jpg

Huge difference in ride! I am sure the Rino carrier helps too!

If anyone needs a used spring compressor cheap hit me up...lol

Hope this helps someone.

Please ignore the post under this one, i can't figure out how to delete it...lol. Maybe an Admin can delete it for me....TY in advance!

Last edited:

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I finally got around to changing out my rear M1037 springs. I purchased 2 used A2 variable springs. Here is a picture of my M1037 HD springs and the A2 variable springs side by side. The A2 is on the right.

View attachment 737108
As you can see the HD and tne A2 springs are almost the same height, but have the same inner diameter. They fit perfectly into the M1037 cast upper spring bracket and fit the M1037 lower control arm. I did not change anything.

HD spring

View attachment 737109

Spring out.

View attachment 737110

A2 spring in.

View attachment 737111

As you can see all you need to do is compress the spring about 2 inches and take off the upper control arm to help get the spring in and out.

A2 installed, new shocks both sides.

View attachment 737112View attachment 737113

If anyone needs a used spring compressor hit me up...lol

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

Action

Hello, I finally got around to changing out my rear M1037 springs. I purchase 2 used A2 variable springs. Here is a picture of my M1037 HD springs and the A2 variable springs side by side. The A2 is on the right.

View attachment 737108
As you can see the HD and tne A2 springs are almost the same height, but have the same inner diameter. The fit perfectly into the M1037 cast upper spring bracket and fit the M1037 lower control arm. I did not change anything.
……....
You shouldn't need to compress the spring at all...
And, I can't see any of your pics.

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I unbolted the top control arm and tried to lower the bottom to release the spring, the lower control arm could not drop enough with the shaft connected. That spring compressor has a plate that supports the whole spring but was tough with those springs to compress evenly, but it worked fine.

Action

When I unbolted the top control arm and tried to lower the bottom to release the spring, the lower control arm could not drop enough with the shaft connected. That spring compressor has a plate that supports the whole spring but was tough with those springs to compress evenly, but it worked fine.
I can see how well that "plate" holds. The lower plate is barely touching the speing! There is only one bolt holding the shaft in. I am surprised you didnt end up in the hospital. Then i could have said, "You should have read the TM...."

Last edited: