• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1038 - how easy to replace speedometer/odometer

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got as far as getting the instrument panel unbolted...it will only come out an inch...any help would be appreciated. Thanx

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am new here and I am new to owning an HMMWV. That being said, old fashioned speedometers are pretty easy to understand.

There is a hose that travels up from the transmission to the speedometer in the dashboard. It is held in place to the back of the speedometer with a round screw on fastener that entirely encircles the tube and has ribs on the side to allow for better grip. One needs to turn the fastener counterclockwise several times in order to release the tube from the back of the speedometer. Inside of the tube you will notice a long-arm wire that is square in shape. In order to replace the speedometer, you need to make sure that the square wire fits back into the square hole before you tighten the fastener that holds the tube to the speedometer. If you see that the tip of the wire is rounded, you may need to replace your entire speedometer cable. It is the square shape that articulates with the square hole that allows the speedometer cable to spin the mechanism and register with the speedometer assembly.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks