• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1040 Fast Attack Vehicle (FAV)

Rockbottomfarm

I was at Ft. Lewis as a newly minted PV1 in 1984 when I first saw these. At that time I was a Combat Engineer (grunt with tools). I saw those buggies zipping around Yakima and realized I may have picked the wrong job. Thirty-plus years later they still possess an unusually high cool factor. Good luck with the project.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at Ft. Lewis as a newly minted PV1 in 1984 when I first saw these. At that time I was a Combat Engineer (grunt with tools). I saw those buggies zipping around Yakima and realized I may have picked the wrong job. Thirty-plus years later they still possess an unusually high cool factor. Good luck with the project.
Don't you just miss Yakima? /sarc

signalcorps

I have talked to a couple other Veterans who were there too. The one's who lived in the south west didn't think much about them because they grew up around sand rails flying over dunes. It must have been a sight in Washington State! I will post more photos as I work on it. I think it is going to be a fun ride!

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Waaaaay cool!

I've always wanted one, but with bigger tires, more ground clearance and suspension travel... :roll:

Much work ahead for ya, but you knew that. I hope to see your very detailed restoration thread soon --- or it begin in this one!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have talked to a couple other Veterans who were there too. The one's who lived in the south west didn't think much about them because they grew up around sand rails flying over dunes. It must have been a sight in Washington State! I will post more photos as I work on it. I think it is going to be a fun ride!
The Yakima Training Center is high mountain desert. Not too many sand dunes but lots of sage brush and loads of Mt St Helens ash. The photos you posted look like they were taken at Ft Lewis rather than Yakima. I wasn't stationed there until '87 and by that time they were a rare sight.

signalcorps

They went thru 3 years of testing as a Surrogate for the HTLD program from 1982-1985 at Fort Washington. During that time the Army put every kind of weapon thru tests to see what was the best. They finally decided on the TOW but needed a 3-man crew to support it. They modified the FAV into a 3 man configuration and renamed it the Desert Patrol Vehicle. The Seals used it in Desert Storm and a few are still in use.

signalcorps

More versions

Here are few more configurations. Don't know if I would want to be on the multiple rocket launcher version. They also came up with the first attack vehicle that was 100% remote/radio controlled. The operator wore goggles that look like todays VR headset. He could drive the vehicle and fire any weapon they could mount. This was in 1983. The creepy thing was they actually put a robot-looking creature in it with big round eyes. The operator saw thru the robot eyes.

Attachments

DaninNM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Auction FAV purchase two days ago.....

I just bought TWO FAVs at gov't eqpt auction on Saturday ...appreciate info on where to get manuals and ops info....one is missing sdome baskets - otherwise complete....need to buy some batteries to see if the engine runs....also need new seats - the sun trashed those!! Are they Beard seats???? already ahve a potential movie rental!!!! daninnm

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks