• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1040 Fast Attack Vehicle (FAV)

DaninNM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. But I think they carried M60s not a n M2.
M2hb was on the roof, M60 was on the pax side - dash mounted....need to know what the pax dash mount pintle looked like? - the mount that fits in the pntle socket is the stannard clip-in M60 mount with the spring-loaded latch at the back.

Last edited:

DaninNM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw them at Ft Lewis summer of '85. I think I posted the photos about a year ago or so.
These were used at the Nevada Test site by the DOE. Found DOE inventory stickers on the sides of the transmission shifters. Eye witneses said they were gate guards at the Sandia Base motor pool for more than 15 years and then showed up at auction. One had the original speedo showing 2200 miles and a replacement 1600 cc VW engine. That one had no side baskets......the other one had the 2000cc up-HP'ed stroker engine and the side baskets. One with the side baskets also had the smoke grenade launcher plate welded on - missing on the one without the baskets. Both had the GI three-lever light switch removed and an aluminum plate pop-rivited over the hole. Serial numbers are within 5 digits of one another. Dzuz connectors used throughout to attach the side and top panels. Both had a second battery holder welded behind the driver's seat - matching the one behind the pax seat. Some of the GI lights were there but others were missing.
One without the side baskets is already stripped, rust removed, primed and ready for tan paint....the color when I bought them. Have to weld on the smoke grenade launcher plate. This one also had the original Jamar steering brake and shifter....the basket one had those replaced with some other brand???? the basket one also had one brake cylinder replaced - the other two were the original Girling master cylinders installed; both had the Neal pedal assemblies and the Wright rack and pinion steering boxes plus the ten Bilstein shocks. Can hardly wait to test these on the sand dunes and desert trails!!!!
Wondering why one has no side baskets...but makes sense tha it does not have the smoke grenade launcher plate either....wonde rf got tested as it arrived an remained unmodified until it found at home at hte Nevada test site which is close to the original testing site at Ft. Richardson.

675striple

These were used at the Nevada Test site by the DOE. Found DOE inventory stickers on the sides of the transmission shifters. Eye witneses said they were gate guards at the Sandia Base motor pool for more than 15 years and then showed up at auction. One had the original speedo showing 2200 miles and a replacement 1600 cc VW engine. That one had no side baskets......the other one had the 2000cc up-HP'ed stroker engine and the side baskets. One with the side baskets also had the smoke grenade launcher plate welded on - missing on the one without the baskets. Both had the GI three-lever light switch removed and an aluminum plate pop-rivited over the hole. Serial numbers are within 5 digits of one another. Dzuz connectors used throughout to attach the side and top panels. Both had a second battery holder welded behind the driver's seat - matching the one behind the pax seat. Some of the GI lights were there but others were missing.
One without the side baskets is already stripped, rust removed, primed and ready for tan paint....the color when I bought them. Have to weld on the smoke grenade launcher plate. This one also had the original Jamar steering brake and shifter....the basket one had those replaced with some other brand???? the basket one also had one brake cylinder replaced - the other two were the original Girling master cylinders installed; both had the Neal pedal assemblies and the Wright rack and pinion steering boxes plus the ten Bilstein shocks. Can hardly wait to test these on the sand dunes and desert trails!!!!
Wondering why one has no side baskets...but makes sense tha it does not have the smoke grenade launcher plate either....wonde rf got tested as it arrived an remained unmodified until it found at home at hte Nevada test site which is close to the original testing site at Ft. Richardson.
Do you have any photos of your progress? Do you still own them?

signalcorps

Just hated that I had to sell my FAV but I found another one and just started putting it back together. It is completely in pieces and down to the bare frame. It is listed in the FAV section now under rebuilding #91 FAV. Can't believe I started this thread back in 2016. Where did the time go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks