• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1045 a2 ticking noise

Tato

Hi guys! Here I am again, not even a thousand kilometres after the new GEP engine, new problem. A ticking noise that occurs from time to time, especially as soon as I stop after a lap, then after a minute at idle it disappears. The engine runs very well, pulls hard, doesn't smoke and always starts at the first stroke. Manifolds tightened, injectors OK, even without the belt the same ticking noise, engine pulley seems OK. I only have a leak from the fuel pump coupling. I've tried to figure out where the noise is coming from but it's not easy.

Tato

Oil and filter replaced after 500km and tappet additive added. Sometimes it seems to tick between the engine and gearbox, sometimes on the passenger side. It still works but is really annoying. If it idles for an hour there is no ticking, as soon as you go a few metres it starts again, one minute at idle and it stops. I've noticed a fuel pump leak in the coupling but I don't think it's that, any advice?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the hell of it check the lower alt mount that goes to the head. Mine was tight but not tight enough and it gave me a ticking sound here and there and it bugged me.

Mark

Tato

I'm sorry, but I didn't quite understand which part it is

Inviato dal mio CPH2005 utilizzando Tapatalk

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the lower alternator mount at the rear of the alternator where the bracket mounts to the exhaust manifold stud.

Mark

Tato

OK understood, but I already checked the alternator bracket on the exhaust bolt. Thanks anyway for the tip

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK understood, but I already checked the alternator bracket on the exhaust bolt. Thanks anyway for the tip

Exhaust leak is a possibility too. On a cold manifold, freshly started truck - spray bottle of soapy water. If you have an exhaust leak you should see it immediately. Don't be stingy with the Dawn dish soap. Even down below since you mentioned "ticking" and any pipe connection down there - give it a spray too.

Tato

I'll try but the Allen bolts are all tightened, as are the flange bolts, the only thing missing is to check the passenger side because the bulkhead is annoying. I'll try dismantling the starter motor and check there too.

Traduci dove e quando vuoi

Tato

Since I fitted this engine I have done about 800 km, at about 100 km/h, a couple of times I pulled a little more after the noise to see if it changed

Tato

New gaskets on both manifolds and coupling flanges. 6.5 n.a.

87cr250r

There are very few gaskets that are supposed to be in these engines. Despite them being available through the aftermarket, don't be tempted to use them. This list includes the oil pan, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, timing cover, water pump adapter plate. No. Gaskets.

87cr250r

There are very few gaskets that are supposed to be in these engines. Despite them being available through the aftermarket, don't be tempted to use them. This list includes the oil pan, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, timing cover, water pump adapter plate. If you're assembling an engine on a stand, I also suggest tossing the fuel lift pump and adapter plate gaskets in the trash as well.

Tato

My manifolds are like this, the gaskets were on the original engine and I put them back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks