• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Brake System Question

Galdron

I have recovered an M105A2. I pulled it out today in the beautiful weather we had here in Alabama. I downloaded and read the TM for this trailer this week. I want to get it ready prior to getting it on the road. I started the inspection process and found that the bottom air bleed valve has been knocked off. This could have happened at Government Liquidation I suspect. I brought it home in tow behind my Suburban but want to use it with my Deuce. I am looking for some advice on how to pull the rest of the valve out of the hole without buggering up the threads. I have the valve I replaced when I put cable pulled air drain valves on my Deuce. Here is a picture of the air tank on the M105.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Kroil or PB Blaster on the threads and allow it to sit for a couple of days, then use an EZout to remove the brass valve remains.

Air tanks are cheap for the M105 trailer. Perhaps someone has one removed from a trailer that was scavenged for the bed and springs.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very possible some unit destroyed the valve years ago too. Most units dont PMCS small trailer like they should.. If it doesnt come out, post up that you need a tank, and I bet you'll have a bunch to choose from.

Check the DOT 5 in the MC on the trailer, make sure it is full. Then check your brakes. If you jack up one side of the trailer (while fully connected air wise to the truck) give the tire a spin, then hit the brakes.. The tire should come to an IMMEDIATE stop. If not, something is wrong in the brake system. Use the trouble tree in the TM to go from there.. Dont forget to check both sides. This is also a good time to check/repack the bearings.

The relay valves are a known failure point on the M105 series trailers.

Trailers are very useful and fun to have. A little PMCS goes along way with them.

Check out my old thread on the trailer brake systems. Save yourself some time and learn from my experiences. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/20000-m105a2-brakes-now-fixed.html

See what crud the 2 air filters have in them.. Yes, there are 2 air filters on the M105a2 series trailers. check the TM, you'll see what Im talking about.

John Tennis has the TM's free for download here: http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM105TrailerTMdownloadpage.htm

Last edited:

Galdron

If you fight and lose, I have spare tanks and can help you out. Glen
I will keep you posted Glen,
it is starting to rain today so I may be a couple of days before I attempt to tackle this. I suspect I could get some size lefthanded threaded screw and give it a try. So many people know so much more about these vehicles than I, I just thought I would ask. I hope it's not just another noise thread.

Galdron

What a wonderful brotherhood you guys are. I will keep you posted. Ezout and Kroll are on the menu this week. I will keep you posted with picture. You guys rock. Thanks a ton.