• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 brakes locked

jimmcld

We were just given an M105A2. It has the single air line brake system. Both wheels are locked up. We tried rocking the trailer with the deuce, with and without the air hooked up. It's a little hard to pull like this! Does anyone have any ideas?

Jim
Vietnam Veterans of America

jasonjc

I assum you released the hand brakes? If so then the shoes maybe rusted to the drums. Or the hand brake are not releasing.

ida34

If you have an airtank open the drain. I think it is the A2s that have the failsafe brakes. It must have air to the emergency line to release the brakes unless the air in the tank is drained. If this is not the case then the shoes are stuck to the drums.

jimmcld

Single air line

The data plate reads "M105A2", mfg. in '67, and it only has one air line. It also has the old style landing gear. I didn't take a camera with me and we didn't get it home, so no pics.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M105A2 as well. One air line.

Check to insure the handbrakes actually are releasing the pads...may have rusted cables and or pads that aren't releasing. Jack it up and remove the little brake pad inspection cover. Look to see if the pads are jambed against the drums. You should be able to shove .010" shim at the bottom of the pads and .020" at the top.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FIRST - crack a brake bleeder , to see if there is any pressure on the brake cylinders. If none, jack up each wheel and back off the brake shoe adjuster on the shoes.

Lee in Alaska

papercu

trailer

From the TM
"All models of the M103 Series Chassis built after 1977 have two air lines."

" Single-line air/hydraulic (M103A1 and M107A1), dual-line air/hydraulic (M103A3, M107A2, and M107A2C), or vacuum/hydraulic brake system (M105A2C) which receives air or vacuum pressure from the towing vehicle.
Wayne

acetomatoco

RE: trailer

BF Hammer to the brake drums, to jar the shoes away from the contact surface after you are sure there is no hydraulic or mechanical pressure being applied to same.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: trailer

If you hit the drums with the hammer and they ring like a bell, the shoes aren't stuck, Pos. frozen bearings? Try easy things first...check the e-brakes, then work your way back.

Srjeeper

jimmcld said:
We were just given an M105A2. It has the single air line brake system. Both wheels are locked up. We tried rocking the trailer with the deuce, with and without the air hooked up. It's a little hard to pull like this! Does anyone have any ideas?

Jim

Jim,

When you hooked the air line up, did you hook it to the service side? It's usually on the left and colored either blue or yellow. The (service) side only has air when you step on the pedal, whereas the other (emergency) side has air all the time,and will keep the brakes on.

By the way, I have a 68-M105A2C and it only has one air line also.

Good luck :!:

jimmcld

RE: Re: M105 brakes locked

We played with the air in every configuration. I messed with the parking brakes, but couldn't tell if they were releasing or not. I'm inclined to think it might be the parking brakes. If I try all the possible fixes that all of you have come up with, surely one of them will work. The only problem is that I have to make arrangements to go back to work on it. It is on our local police department's shooting range. They gave us two M105's. The first one was easy. When we went back for the second one is when we had a problem. By the way, they both have como shelters sitting in them. The shelters are really nice too. I'm just not sure what we are going to do with them. They would make dandy deer blinds.

Thanks again for all your help,

Jim

Srjeeper

If you get pinched for time, see if someone with a rollback can fetch it. Maybe give him one of the shelters in trade for doing the job. Depending which shelters they are, they make good one man campers or great storage containers.

Let us know how you make out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks