• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 civilian rim conversion......

tnronin

Hi, this is my first post, I've been lurking but just can't find the answer to my question. The long and short, a buddy and I picked up some M105 trailers with HMMV wheels (8 lug) and we are going to convert them to 8 lug civilian rims. I have a line on some 16" rims and tires they are Ford rims. I know that the Ford rims will fit both Dodge and Chevy 8 lug set-ups. I'd like to make sure I'm ok before I buy them ($100 for 4 wheels and rims) and then drive 2+ hours to Clarksville to discover I can't do that.

I don't want to replace hubs or axels at this point, I would like to just bolt on these rims to get it home. He attempted to tow the trailers and the wheels were dry rotted and went to crap on him, so I'm stuck with this or taking a car hauler up and loading it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mitch

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M105's have 6 lug rims, and they are 20" diameter(9.00-20 tires). Did you get M101 trailers?

tnronin

I believe it is a 105, it might be a 101, I've been told that these are 8 lug (definately) and take the HMMV/CUCV wheels. Either way, I can't get HMMV tires and don't want to have to deal with that later hence the civilian conversion. I saw on another thread a possible answer to my question.

tnronin

Ya that is the thread I was referring to. I know that the rims currently on it are the split HMMV style and I want to get away from that. I'm pretty sure I'm ok, my buddy has done some research himself and we should be good to go. $100 is a good price for 4 wheels and tires I think.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds reasonable! Good luck

papercu

pattern

You will need to measure them. For the eight bolt type you will need to Measure center to center of two holes or lugs directly across from each other.
On my M1008 they are 6 1/2 inches but I won't refund if I'm wrong. :lol: Wayne

86M10086.2L

RE: pattern

all eight lug bolt patterns are the same between Chevy, Dodge and Ford. Only recently @ 2000 or so did ford switch over to a metric bolt pattern. So as long as the wheels are not of a newer ford they will fit. The only thing that changes is width and backspacing between manufacutrers and different years. Early eight lugs trucks, vans and trailers, used practically identical wheels. But being as this is a trailer backspacing will probabaly not be too much of a issue.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: pattern

papercu said:
You will need to measure them. For the eight bolt type you will need to Measure center to center of two holes or lugs directly across from each other.
On my M1008 they are 6 1/2 inches but I won't refund if I'm wrong. :lol: Wayne
8 on 6.5" is correct.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks