• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Cover Tie-down Grommets

Gypsyman

Finally got around to assembling the bow and hanging the NOS cover on my M105. Noticed a small problem. During manufacturing they missed installing one of the grommets and ropes. See attached.

1. Are these 7/16" grommets? Without prying open one of the tiedown rope clips to take it out of the grommet I can get an accurate measurement. I think that they are C.S. Osborne B1 #3 grommets.

2. Has anyone ever run across the correct metal clips to make up a new matching tie-down rope?

Richard

IMG_7788.JPG

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Finally got around to assembling the bow and hanging the NOS cover on my M105. Noticed a small problem. During manufacturing they missed installing one of the grommets and ropes. See attached.

1. Are these 7/16" grommets? Without prying open one of the tiedown rope clips to take it out of the grommet I can get an accurate measurement. I think that they are C.S. Osborne B1 #3 grommets.

2. Has anyone ever run across the correct metal clips to make up a new matching tiedown rope?

Richard

View attachment 877172
I can't speak to a #3 Grommet - but I know for sure that a #2 Grommet measures 3/8 of an inch inside. Got one laying here on my desk. Whipped out a ruler and checked. Outside dimension is 3/4 inches.

Gypsyman

I rolled the dice and ordered a 7/16 die along with some grommets. Now to figure out the matching rope and try to find the metal rope terminations. What a pain for such a simple manufacturing mistake. =)

Gypsyman

Received the C.S. Osborne #B1-3 grommets and the setting die today. Spot on match if anyone needs to match these grommets in the future. I'll get the missing grommet installed and move the center rear rope to the new position tomorrow. Figure I'll replace the missing rear center twisted rope with rubber rope if I can't find a match for the factory piece.

IMG_7822.JPG IMG_7823.JPG

Gypsyman

I've gleaned so much information from previous members posts that I'll never be able to repay it. If I can't find the answer to something using the search and I'm going to invest the time and money to track something down the least I can do is share the information for future reference.

Small contributions all add up to a better site for everyone. =)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've gleaned so much information from previous members posts that I'll never be able to repay it. If I can't find the answer to something using the search and I'm going to invest the time and money to track something down the least I can do is share the information for future reference.

Small contributions all add up to a better site for everyone. =)
Yes Sir! For sure and thank you!
Sharing is what this place is all about.

Gypsyman

Final post on this one. C.S. Osborne #B1-3 grommets are in fact a dead match for the factory installed pieces. My completed installation in shown below. The rope is a 3/8" twisted poly but I haven't found a color match for it yet. The search continues... =)

C.S. Osborne B1-3 Grommets & Tool (3).JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks