• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105 dump bed trailer

res0wc18

just got an email back from them, they will not separate the kit and only sell me the airbag and hing assembly! which sucks because we already have on board air!

coolnick73

I didn't see a spec on the electric pump on the Load Hog. You are right that would be pretty quick and easy especially if you didn't have to buy their pump.

res0wc18

the pump is way over sized because its set up for volume not pressure. The system works on 13 psi or less! The air bag is like 16-20 inch diameter so it makes up for the pressure with its huge size.

These guys are very evasive which sucks because i think that they really do have something sweet but they are not willing to bend.

This i guess would not be good to be kept inline with my idea of wanting to be able to have the trailer be towed by a civy truck and work as well.

So i got a question for all you guys how can i make an electric over hydraulic type pump work on both 12 and 24v's? That way it could be towed behind either truck.

Or how could i get 24v type charging from the civy truck with no major mods.

Im trying to figure this out because i have ideas about how i could run the pump off both trucks, like if i had the pump setup's batteries run in series so they make 24v's and put a hot 12v power plug of the civy truck would that fry something on the civy truck? Would that charge the batteries on the pump unit?

nhdiesel

Without me going back and reading 5 or so pages of posts, I believe its been said that the motor will run on either 12v or 24v (correct me if I missed something to the contrary). But you need solenoids matching your system. Why not hook up 12v and 24v solenoids in parallel, and wire it up so you only use the ones you need when hooked to a particular vehicle? Wire in a switch between the dump controller's power and the solenoids, with 2 positions: 12v & 24v.

Jim

res0wc18

thats what i was thinking but, there is going to be the battery issue. Could the civy seven prong trailer plug provide enough power to run the pump without a battery system figure the pump pulls 400 amps ? What do those put out for a charge? Here is the trailer plug i am talking about Connector - Pre-Wired Blade Connector/7-Way Round Blade | Reese Towpower . What kind of power do these hot or charging circuits provide on this type of harness?

If not i am going to have make some prety intersting switches and cables that can be switched around etc everytime i want to tow it behind the civy truck.

It might just be easier to have battery clamps that have the marine wing nut type things and have a couple different lengths of cable so when im running it behind the civy i can just undo the wing nut and switch the batteries to run in parallel for 12v's at double amperage, switchj the solenoid back to the 12v one etc

Or will the 24v solenoid that tmamercia suggested work on both 12 and 24v's?

Am i overthinking this whole thing?

sweetk30

you will fry that plug from the amp draw converting to heat.

these are what you want. Single Replacement Plug End - Superior Signals - Mfg# SY6325G6

i run this setup for years on my old trailer with a winch and no battery on the trailer. just pluged it in and it went to the truck battery. no problems at all. thay even offer dust plugs for them to keep crap out when not in use. click the ass link in the link i posted. 4 bucks each . and there is diffrent size ones up to some big stuff.

res0wc18

yeah i found those at napa for cheaper and they are made in USA. My questions is though for the hot side of the 7 prong trailer plug what is the largest safe amount of charging amperage im going to get out of one of those?

Would i need to rearrange the battery wires so they are in 12v configuration when it tow it behind my civy truck or could i leave that like it is along with the 24v solenoid and just run it behind the civy with a charging 12v wire running from the 7 prong off the civy?

Bigmillman

Geezz.... OK. So. how's about this for thought. Run a deep cycle battery pack on your trailer and throw in a relay so that when you use your lift button you are using your trailer batteries and when your not using your lift you can be charging your batteries through a zenier diode? That would fix any large wire requirements for your trailer to truck connections. ;-)

res0wc18

i plan to run two deep cycles, im trying to figure out how to make it so i can run the the 24v setup behind the civy truck as well and put a pos 12v to it to charge the batteries and not fry something.. does that makes sense?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Northern tool catalog has car jacks that are a bag type that uses the exhaust to lift the car. Similat deal to that air bladder thing you posted. Might try Northern.

res0wc18

i really like the air bag dump kit i was talking about earlier. They want 2100 bucks for a kit though! and they wont sell the kit without the pump etc

KsM715

I have thought of the air off the glad hand idea. Harbor Freight sells a air over hyd. cylinder for use in an engine hoist (cherry picker type) but it looks like it operates pretty slow. as for hinges I haven't figured that out yet. I do know a guy that put a cut down deuce bed on a 1ton civy truck with a dump set up and he said he would help with the hinges when I get to that point. However I have given up on the trailer Idea and am going to put a cut down deuce bed on my M818 with a dump cylinder under it.

tm america

an air cylinder would have to be huge to dump any kind of weight. to get the same lift capacity as a 4inch cylinder running on hydro pressure of 2000psi you would need an air cylinder that is 64 inch diameter running on 125psi :roll:

Binder

an air cylinder would have to be huge to dump any kind of weight. to get the same lift capacity as a 4inch cylinder running on hydro pressure of 2000psi you would need an air cylinder that is 64 inch diameter running on 125psi :roll:
Don't use a air cylinder use air over hydraulic is the idea....

I have a couple ideas in my head on how the hinge could be done but would like to see what others have done and know it works..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks