• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 frame dimensions

wvu dodge

Can anybody help me with the frame dimensions of an M105. I'm looking for the size (height) of the channel, distance between the frame rails, and distance from the rear leaf spring hanger to the back end of frame. Also pictures would help if any body has any handy.

I would like to buy one and convert it to a dump trailer. I've done this with my M101...built a complete subframe, hydraulic power pack, jack, battery, the real deal. But as with everything, I learned a few things that i would like to do differently, and if I'm going to do it again, I want to use a larger trailer.

My plan is to make it full hydraulic like my M101, but I'd also replace the axle/wheels/tires to lower it, and gain electric brakes.

I searched for over an hour for frame dimensions, and had no luck. Thanks in advance.

wvu dodge

I appreciate the responses to those who replied. I certainly saved that manual, may help me in the future, but it does not tell me what I'm looking for. I'm going to assume 4" frame rails, and 34" between them. For the distance from the rear spring hanger to back end, I can probably estimate by using some pictures.

I intend on hinging the frame for the dump all the way at the back, so it will most certainly need boxed in since its cantilevered out over the spring hanger. I've got a pretty good plan of attack, so If I can locate one I'll handle the rest on the fly.

wvu dodge

Well you got my attention, but I can't seem to get back that far...July 7 is the farthest I can get.

I'm heading to NC to the beach next week, so I found some M105's in SC and thought if I won one, I could just slip over and pick it up mid-week without a special trip. That my friends, is what they call 2 birds, 1 stone. But I didn't win, so I'll have to keep my eye out for another one. Its still on my radar, but since I was going to be traveling the east coast, thought it was a good time to go shopping. I'll pull the trigger on one soon, but maybe not for a few months now unless I find one local.

wvu dodge

There's a 105 for sale locally in the Columbia, SC area. PM me for details.
I really appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to write this trip off as a "vacation only", and not a "working trip". We've already packed the car with all our necessary junk (vs the truck, 16ft trailer, tools, comealong, hi-lift jack, ratchet straps, etc that would be required to drag home a new surplus trailer...in addition to all the vacation junk).

Surprisingly the wife was OK with a little side mission during the week for a trailer recovery, though it would have been a solo mission on my part while she stayed at the beach. But not having to worry about dragging home a 2700lb heap certainly simplifies the trip.

Although I was looking forward to see how many hours it would take the home owners association to be on my ass for having cluttering up the vacation beach house area with my truck + a trailer on a trailer....Just wanted to give them a little West Virginia flavor, let them experience a little of MY culture