• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 info

jfnemt1ff1

Hi Iam in the middle of planing a trip to Tx picking up 2 m105 trailers. I was thinking of putting one on top of the other. What I need to know is the size stake pockets I want to make up some to keep the trailers lined up along with straping them down. I thought that it would give me a little more safe.
John

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds lke a great idea. Seen the same thing done with pickup truck beds.

If nobody posts up the info soon, I'll go measure my trailer stake pockets.

Right now it's 5 degrees and I have been ill for 5 days. I'll check back in a day or two.

maplehillfrm

That sounds lke a great idea. Seen the same thing done with pickup truck beds.

If nobody posts up the info soon, I'll go measure my trailer stake pockets.

Right now it's 5 degrees and I have been ill for 5 days. I'll check back in a day or two.

hey eric hope you feel better, so you have a warm spell going on huh,, I had 15 below this morning,, its up to 3 now,, have a good one pat

maplehillfrm

Hi Iam in the middle of planing a trip to Tx picking up 2 m105 trailers. I was thinking of putting one on top of the other. What I need to know is the size stake pockets I want to make up some to keep the trailers lined up along with straping them down. I thought that it would give me a little more safe.
John

I measured roughly 1 1/4" x 1 7/8" that would be tight so a little smaller would work ,good luck,pat

jfnemt1ff1

Thanks guys now I can move forward going to try to find some metal that I could use. I have a bunch of deuce up rights but I think they are bigger.? I will have to look like DH said its -6deg here and is not going to warm up still next week.
John

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you have a table saw you can run them down to where they fit snugly. You almost want to have to tap them into place. You dont want any slop.
Once you get the trailer that is going to be on top inverted you can have the forklift driver put the forks under the axle. This will allow you to slide it back and forth and side to side so you can line the pockets up and ease the top one down.
Strap it down good and boogie.
I hope you are towing them with a deuce or BIG pickup.

jimm1009

I have some dimensions to add to this post but up front are some pictures of the trailer and bed.
W.M. is correct about the stakes and dimensions.
I cross checked them against my sideboards & Headboards for the M105.
Sketch to follow within the hour.
Sorry about the "fur" in the bed as they are extremely nosey. Anything going on and they have to be in the middle of it.

jimm1009

Rough Sketch as promised

Attachments

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
The trick in getting the two trailers together in the first place is to stand first one then the other on the tailgate and slide them together, with the brakes locked on the one that will be on the bottom. Use straps to keep them from moving and get a truck or fork lift to pull on the lunette to get it back to level. There is a set of pictures in a thread here on the site where they did just that to get two trailers in one trip. Maybe one of the original posters, or someone with better skills in using the search function will chime in.:)

Nonotagain

Are you sure that GL will stack them upside down for you?

You'll play heck aligning them up using the bow pockets.

Save all the trouble and drama and just place three 4x4"s across the bed and bind the trailers together. Check them after bouncing the rig around before leaving the base, then again every couple of hours.

Just my .02 cents worth.

jimm1009

What about stacking the top one inside the bed of the lower one with it's tires / wheels removed.
A 4x4 or 6x6 saw horse on the wheel well with lateral bracing may work if the axle with hubs wiill fit inside.
It would work pretty well, would probably be more agreeable to by GL loaders, and would be more easily unloaded once it arrived home since it is right side up.
It would still need to be strapped down but much more stable and would hold up to sharp braking due to "goof balls" being on the road at the same time.
I'm going to measure the hub to hub dimension and report back. I could not find it in the TM9-2339-213-14&P.
Note: The empty trailer weighs 2694 lbs. per the same TM above with side boards and cover installed so that is a lot of weight to tow X 2 on the hitch not that it can't be done safely but unless a deuce is pulling the lower one there are no brakes to be had while behind a civy truck.
jimm1009

Edit for additional information;

I removed one tire and measured the width of the drum as shown in the PDF drawing from the TM. The ring of nuts on the drum (approximately 20 nuts) is where I measure to and this dimension is 67 inches from side to side. The backing plate to backing plate is 56 1/2 inches wide.
The very outside to outside dimension was not check because it exceed the width of the trailer bed.
What my pea-brain came up with was to set the trailer inside the other one right side up with the tires removed. The drums would fit inside the total bed width and they could rest on a wooden or steel brace that rested on the wheel well and floor combined. The tongue could rest on the forward wall of the lower trailer and be strapped in place there.
GL may be inclined to use a fork lift to lift is straight up and then set it down since this is a very simple maneuver.
See PDF. There is about 3 1/2 inches difference is the diameter of the brake drum and the spndile diameter but that shoule be enough to work if so inclined.

Attachments

Last edited:

markmontana

Two pins (one in each front corner) to line up the trailers. Two heavy duty tie down straps and no problems- 900 miles. Hooked them together while standing on end. (straps were off when I took the pic). I used a couple pcs of plywood to allow the straps to 'crush' into place.

Make sure you have the 'bottom' trailer secure when you drop it to your hook. You'll be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks