• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 landing gear seized

EWhytsell

I've had an M105A2 for awhile and now that I've got some time to spare, I'm working on restoring it. It has the single large wheel on the landing gear, folds up fine, but is seized in the "centered" position. I guess it could be worse, ie seized to the left/right;-)

Is there any really good trick to free it? The previous owner said he worked on it a little with heat, but never got it moving.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The first time you pinch the crap out of one of your apendages you will change your mind.

Ask me how I know.

If you still are determined to fix that wretched invention of the devil you can heat it up and melt a candle (made of parrifin, not beeswax) and let the heat suck the melted wax up into the joint.

You may have to do it a few times but it works......an old school mechanic taught me that trick.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a grease fitting that you can force some lube into (if the whole wheel assembly won't turn from side to side), or you can unscrew the top nut some and tap it down with a dead blow hammer (with the nut still on, at least to start) to break it free. Then clean and lube both the shaft and the ways and put it back together. It helps to have the front wheel a few inches in the air when you start. I've swapped front landing legs this way before.

DUECE-COUPE

Prop up the trailer so you are not on the wheel. Take every thing off of the center section, take off the nut and washer that keep it in place, place the not back on so you don't bugger up the treads, place a piece or 4x4 on top of the nut, and hit it with a large hammer. You may want to apply a liberal amount of WD40/ or other such substance, and hit it with a large hammer to break it loose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks