• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 lowered.

Stuparman

I picked up an m105 a few months back, then started researching how to lower it. I didn't see a whole lot of great info out there.
I ended up going with a 68" wide 4" drop 8k axle, with electric brakes. Because of the narrow spring spacing, the axle was derated to 5500 pounds.

I removed the overload springs and the two bottom leafs as well.
Heres a before, after, and over loaded picture. That was with 6700 pounds of gravel, luckily only moved a short distance.

It tows well behind my cruiser now, and will make an awesome wood hauling and camping trailer.

Attachments

Mike of Bonsall

Hi Stuparman. I just bought an M105A2 for my cruiser too. Interested in your lowering even though for me in the Californian desert i'm fine with it high. I'm having trouble finding 12v bulbs (changed the 12pin plug to 7-flat) otherwise I got it together. What did you do for lights?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do not cross post .

A forum search should find the bulb numbers (about 500 threads have discussed this.

1156 and 97 come to mind, iirc.

Mike of Bonsall

Mine has air brakes so I don't think I can do that, can I?. I got a junction box attached to a 7 flat as I thought the transformer/adapter too expensive. As I was taking directly to Stuparman I thought a sneaky x-post would get by but my apologies and never again.

Mike of Bonsall

Please you explain more about what you did with the breaks. When I bought mine I thought it had surge brakes because I had been looking at some M116's and I didn't notice till I got it that it has air brakes which lead to a hydraulic unit looks like. Don't know if I need do something. Rides beautiful empty but not pulled it loaded yet.

PS are you going to raise your pintle hook to keep that sucker level?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please you explain more about what you did with the breaks. When I bought mine I thought it had surge brakes because I had been looking at some M116's and I didn't notice till I got it that it has air brakes which lead to a hydraulic unit looks like. Don't know if I need do something. Rides beautiful empty but not pulled it loaded yet.

PS are you going to raise your pintle hook to keep that sucker level?
California requires triler brakes on trailers weighing 1500 pounds and over. You can either change the axle as mentioned in this thread , find a M105A3 surge brake assembly or add a electric over hydraulic brake actuator.

link for trailer brake laws by state;
http://www.towshop.com/trailer_supplemental_braking_laws.htm

link for electric over hydraulic brake actuators;
http://www.easternmarine.com/Electric-Hydraulic-Brake-Actuators/

Mike of Bonsall

California requires triler brakes on trailers weighing 1500 pounds and over. You can either change the axle as mentioned in this thread , find a M105A3 surge brake assembly or add a electric over hydraulic brake actuator.

link for trailer brake laws by state;
http://www.towshop.com/trailer_supplemental_braking_laws.htm

link for electric over hydraulic brake actuators;
http://www.easternmarine.com/Electric-Hydraulic-Brake-Actuators/
But this is relating to the truck/trailer combo, so does it hamper me getting California plates? Does not the fact it has air brakes allow me to register it in CA even if it is illegal to tow?

Mike of Bonsall

And if I decide to go with a E/H actuator what psi do I need for the M105A2 weighing in at 2750lb?
Having air brakes can I not plate it in California even though it may not be able to pull it with my current truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks