• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 p/u

jfnemt1ff1

Ok some day I will know all the tricks of this hobby. I have 2 m105s to pick up,and I think that you can flip one on top of the other. I was thinking about placeing a couple tubes in the rail racks holes to stop any movement.along with tie downs. My main question is towing with my pick up, I know that I can get pintel hitch close to level. # should be around 5000 lbs so should be ok. What do you think.
John
Ps I can take one of the m35s but better mpg.

acmunro

(2) M105's pushing and not having trailer brakes on winter roads could be a scary prospect. Tongue weight would be double- meaning less weight on the trucks front end for steering and stoping. I have hauled two on my 18' 10,000 # car trailer before. Much less tongue weight and brakes.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Ok some day I will know all the tricks of this hobby. I have 2 m105s to pick up,and I think that you can flip one on top of the other. I was thinking about placeing a couple tubes in the rail racks holes to stop any movement.along with tie downs. My main question is towing with my pick up, I know that I can get pintel hitch close to level. # should be around 5000 lbs so should be ok. What do you think.
John
Ps I can take one of the m35s but better mpg.
Quite do able (short distances) with a heavy duty 3/4 ton pick-up truck or greater. The tonge weight will not be doubled as long as the load is leveled.

Braking is another question.

The M105 trailer weighs 2750 lbs, below the requirment that most states mandate for brakess being required. With hauling two trailers, you exceeded that by a fair bit.

Rent a flat bed trailer or use your M35.

acmunro

Quite do able (short distances) with a heavy duty 3/4 ton pick-up truck or greater. The tonge weight will not be doubled as long as the load is leveled

Rent a flat bed trailer or use your M35.

Please explain how the tongue weight would not be doubled. If the trailers are lined up with pieces of tubing in the stake pockets you would have 2X as much weight in front of the axle as hauling one M105.

Nonotagain

Please explain how the tongue weight would not be doubled. If the trailers are lined up with pieces of tubing in the stake pockets you would have 2X as much weight in front of the axle as hauling one M105.
I just went outside and took a photo of the M105 data plate. Look at empty weight on lunette and then weight with full load.

The weight listed empty on lunette is 300 lbs and loaded as 445lbs.

This will explain better than I can.

Attachments

Last edited:

acmunro

I understand the plate. I think the military rated that with the trailer loaded properly (load in the bed centered
over the axle with a little more weight to the front) Not the same trailer flipped over on top of trailer with said plate.
The M105 has a lot of weight in the front. More weight in front of the axle means more tongue weight.

Nonotagain

I understand the plate. I think the military rated that with the trailer loaded properly (load in the bed centered
over the axle with a little more weight to the front) Not the same trailer flipped over on top of trailer with said plate.
The M105 has a lot of weight in the front. More weight in front of the axle means more tongue weight.
I edited my post with the corrected addition of the M105 data plate.

With the load distributed directly over the bed, the weights should be within the load limits listed on the data plate.

Now for another item. I don't fully believe the weight on lunette listed on any of the data plates. I can lift 300 lbs off the ground by doing a squat directly over the lift point. I can't lift the tonge of the M105 off the ground by myself. Same goes for the M1061 trailer which I have. Weight on lunette is listed at 445 lbs, which two of us can't budge.

Back to your point, stacking two M105 trailers is not a safe thing to do if you don't have operational brakes on the trailer.

One of these days I'm going to bring a load cell home from work and get actual tonge weights for my fleet of trailers and will post results.

jfnemt1ff1

The more I thought of it, its going to be about 1500 miles round trip. The truck with the 395s runs great a 60-65mph and can do 70mph at top end. I now just have to get a spring ride seat for the pass side before the trip,to make the wife happy. Maybe when I go to pick up my m198 dolly I might get lucky and find a seat.
John

tm america

you wouldnt have any problems towing that with a 3/4 ton or bigger . only thing i would watch out for is having the tongue from the second trailer hangin over your tow vehicle if you have a cap on the back it could hit when going through dips. even a 1/2 ton truck would handle 600lb tongue weight without a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks