• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 pickup form GL...rookie question.

hooch364

Well after not doing enough research, I now find my self a litlle apprehensive going to pick up a M105 from GL soon. Seems through some old posts it seems that the brakes are a big hit or miss. What are the chances that these trailers sitting on the lots will have brakes locked?

My concern is that I go to pick it up and Im dragging a 2700+ lb sled. What do/can I do if this happens?

Thanks, I dont mean to ask dumb question if these are.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your REAL problem is trying to hook up the lunette to anything OTHER than a 2.5 ton or larger.. Anything smaller, and you need to get the lunette lower than it want to go with the landing leg still locked. One guy CAN NOT do it by himself.. Bring either a BUNCH of friends, or a good bottle jack and cribbing...

hooch364

Re: RE: M105 pickup form GL...rookie question.

bulldog_mack13 said:
Pull them without brakes , if you have a Duece or bigger, it wont hurt it.
Bulldog,

When you say pull it without brakes, is there a way to disable them easily? I Will be pulling it with a civilian truck.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
RE: Re: RE: M105 pickup form GL...rookie question.

Dont hook up the air lines, well you cant with a pick up anyway, and the 2 parking brake handles need to be in the up position and as long as theres no air left in the tank of the trailor is should pull just fine.

KaiserM109

Go for it!!

I have hauled 3 M105s from Ft. Carson to northeast of Denver, 98 mi., with no problem, 2 behind my Original Bronco and 1 behind a big Dodge duelly.

There is not much chance of the brakes being locked up at GL. In the Army Reserves we occasionally had a problem with the shoes sticking if they had set for a few months. All we had to do was go back and forth with them a few times and they came loose. GL has been moving the trailers around and they should be OK.

Check this thread out about the brakes:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15404&postdays=0&postorder=asc
If you have a problem, PM me. I have a source on part.

You can haul an empty M105 behind something like my Original Bronco without trailer brakes as long as you take reasonable care. Napa has a set of magnetic lights for $55 but I saw a similar pair (actually better because it had yellow on one side and red on the other) at Harbor Freight for $20.

You can flip the lunette over and make the hook go the other way, but I din’t think it is worth it. Having it at such an angle is not a problem, unless you are going to load it up. To flip it over, back the nut up ½ inch and pop the lunette loose. It is tapered. I pop them loose by putting something like a hammer head at the end of the nut and unscrewing the nut against it, all the while whacking the casting around the lunette. Pull the lunette out a little, rotate it and tighten it down again. If you ever have one clear out, put some grease on it so that it will break out easier. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BUNG UP THE THREADS ON THE LUNETTE! I did once and ruined a very hard to replace nut.

Go for it!! Good luck.

Arlyn

PS A high lift (farmer's) jack is essential when working with an M105. My son and I have wrestled them around without, but it ain't easy.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pre-GL days, I bought a M416 sight unseen and when I picked it up one of the wheels was locked up, the parking brake was engaged and the brake shoes rusted solid to the drum. I brought a flatbed trailer to tow it home on, but if I hadn't, I would have had to resort to pulling the drum onsite and hammering the shoes off the drum. I definitely didn't have the tools with me for that mess, but with the flatbed it all worked out....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks