• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 questions for South Carolina owners

wilfreeman

Alright, I FINALLY got the deuce insured (well, pretty sure - she is supposed to be emailing the policy info shortly) through Gulfway.

Now, I won an M105a2 on GL yesterday (waiting on the invoice on that). My questions are:
1)Does this trailer have to be registered and tagged in SC?
2)Does the trailer have to be insured in SC?

I looked at the DMV website and it says for trailers with an empty weight in excess of 2500# - $20 fee (I guess this answers question #1). I am guessing I have to buy a plate too?

Thanks for the help!

wilfreeman

So you don't have to have it registered (with a title) to get a tag? What about insurance - would the deuce insurance cover it? Sorry for all the question - I'm new to the "big" trailer thing as well as the big truck thing!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to ask your insurance company.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailers in SC are covered by the vehicle towing them. I did not register my m105, as it weighs less than 2500lbs.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is up to the insurance company, not the state. Ask your insurance company.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll second what DOGHEAD said. I, too, have GULFWAY insurance and I don't think they insure our trucks to haul trailers. Be careful, and double check that. If you get into a jam, it would suck to find out then that you are not insured.

wilfreeman

While I was talking to the lady at Gulfway about the deuce insurance today, I told her about the trailer and that I might be adding it to my policy. She acted like it wouldn't be a big deal and all I needed were the serial number and pictures. We will be recovering the trailer with the rollback, so I won't need it insured until we get the deuce bobbed and back on the road anyway.

wilfreeman

I will. Who knows, I might have to go to USAA (Progressive) and get a commercial policy to be able to pull the trailer. Gulfway's website says that they have "Transporter Insurance[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] – Toter homes to 18-Wheelers to pickup trucks" and "Trailers – Tag to Full Pro Trailers". But, of course, OUR vehicles would probably be under "Specialty, SPECIALTY" vehicles and require a different policy or not insurable through them for hauling or towing purposes!

Either way, I will update this thread when I try it.

Thanks Guys![/FONT]

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gulfway offered to insure my trailers separately.

Like I said in post # 5, you need to ask your insurance company.

wilfreeman

I'm planning on it - I'm just taking it one step at a time. I (I think) finally got the deuce insured through them (no policy in hand yet, but promised). Once I get it bobbed, blasted, painted and back on the road, I'll worry about insuring the trailer. I don't think I will need to use it before the deuce is done, so no use in paying to insure it until needed. I was just feeling the waters about insurance and registering/tagging these things in SC. Thanks for the info guys!

mdeane

Hello, I'd like to open up this thread again. I just bought a cheap m105 off of Craigslist. The guy gave me a printed info sheet from the auction website he originally bought the trailer from, but nothing signed and no bill of sale. This was my first trailer purchase so I didn't really consider it until later. Anyways the trailer says it weighs 2700lbs so Im guess I have to register it. Could I register it without a bill of sale or a title? And I think that my truck insurance covers the trailer too. Because no way am I buying separate insurance for a trailer I'll use only a few times per year

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know nothing about SC but I always register my trailers in Maine because it so easy, online, and with a credit card. Get a shiny plate back in a week.

Even In Maine at a bare minimum a bill of sale is required. They don't require a title or registration.

I don't know how anyone would be able to register without a bill of sale. Only other recourse is "home built" and you need to research your state's regs and procedures.

wilfreeman

I ended up not even using mine - only pulled it once. My insurance co. told me that it had to be insured seperately, that the tuck insurance wouldn't cover it (Gulfway insurance). I also called the SCDMV about tagging another large military trailer I was thinking about buying for a jeep hauler conversion - they said they couldn't tag it without a title. I still don't believe that is the case, but I didn't push it.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

mdeane

could I possibly cut enough weight to get it under the 2500lb weight limit for registration? Pull the landing gear (I'm young and 6'5" and can lift the thing alone), remove air brake components, remove rear jack, remove tailgate, smaller wheels and tires.... I might get it slightly under 2500lbs... Tell me if this is foolish, I may just try to get a smaller trailer

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
could I possibly cut enough weight to get it under the 2500lb weight limit for registration? Pull the landing gear (I'm young and 6'5" and can lift the thing alone), remove air brake components, remove rear jack, remove tailgate, smaller wheels and tires.... I might get it slightly under 2500lbs... Tell me if this is foolish, I may just try to get a smaller trailer
You would be much better served with a m101a2/a3 with surge brakes and common 16 inch tires or a m101/a1 with no surge brakes and old school 900x16. Another choice is the aluminum m1101/2 with surge brakes and Humvee tires/rims with common 8 bolt pattern.

DeadParrot

Best bet would see if the seller would sign a bill of sale. You can download generic bill of sale forms. Also check with your state DMV folks. If you don't like the first answer, ask a few others. I have seen several threads on this board where the first DMV person was not helpful but another one solved the problem with little fuss.

Probably a bad idea to try to lighten the M105 to get under the 2500lb empty weight by removing the brakes. Once you start carrying cargo, you could well bust the 3400lb GVWR limit many states have for trailers before brakes are required. The ticket for overweight without proper equipment will likely make the registration fee seem cheap.

The empty weight for a M101A1 or M1101/2 is about 1400lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks