• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 questions

98hd

SO I started looking over my M105A2's, and noticed some things.

One of the trailers has landing legs at all 4 corners. I'm wondering what the purpose for this was? It also looked to have some type of leftover foam sealant, kind of like 3M foam tape residue on parts of the inside of the box. This also has a Different landing gear w/ 2 small wheels and a skid that folds down below the wheels.

The same trailer also has some weird lights. They kind of look like LED's. I don't have the trailers up to where my trucks are at so I can't tell.

Also, the 2nd trailer has an empty spot on the right taillamp bracket. What is supposed to go there? This one just has the single landing leg.

Also if anyone had a clue what the bumper #'s mean I'd love to know.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would offer a (uneducated) guess that there was something mounted in there at one time that required a very stable base.

Units often made field modifications to equipment to make it safer or more user friendly.

98hd

I would offer a (uneducated) guess that there was something mounted in there at one time that required a very stable base.

Units often made field modifications to equipment to make it safer or more user friendly.
That has been my thinking, just curious what it could have been, or if the legs were part of some sort of kit or conversion that might have been done to it at one time.

papercu

CML is a Chemical unit so could have been a washdown unit or something like that.
The first trailer has the later model landing gear but the tailights (the small one is the blackout light) are from a time long ago. Wayne

kurtkds

CML is a Chemical unit so could have been a washdown unit or something like that.
The first trailer has the later model landing gear but the tailights (the small one is the blackout light) are from a time long ago. Wayne

In the first Pic (#4) of the lights (old style) the small round light is the black out brake light and there is only one on those trailers.

The other picture has the newer style of light that have the blackout brake light included in the housing.

Last edited:

kurtkds

1st Battallion, 151st Field Artillery (1-151 FA) Minnesota Army National Guard

Where did you find that info for the unit numbers??

I've got a m105 that I'm going to add to a static display at our community fair this summer, and I'd like to add the unit number info to the board that tells the history of each piece in the display...

My numbers are as follows..

311ESC 909 HR AG T23

KyCUCVs

1st Battalion, 151st Field Artillery is part of the 34th Division, indicated by the 34 before the 1-151FA. The trailer belonged to Battery B, indicated by the “B” on the right side. The “T” indicates trailer and the 701 is the vehicle number of the truck that pulls it, or B-701. The other trailer belonged to the 434th Chemical Company. It is a separate company, not part of a battalion, indicated by the “X” on the right side, followed by the vehicle number and “T” for trailer.

Bumper numbers aren’t an exact science. They are supposed to show the command structure of the unit owning the vehicle: Major Command, Intermediate Command, Unit and Vehicle number. The artillery trailer is a good example. But the guidance in TB 43-0209 isn’t well written leaving some room for interpretation. Per the TB, the correct indicator for Field Artillery is just an “F” and for Chemical, just a “C”. Also, the “T” for trailer goes before the vehicle number, like on the artillery trailer. The chemical trailer is in error.

311ESC 909 HR AG T23 translates to 311th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary), 909th Human Resources Company, AG indicates branch of the Army, T for trailer for vehicle AG-23. Information on both units can be found on the internet. The term Human Resources is starting to replace Adjutant General. The 909th is still listed as the 909th Adjutant General Company (Postal).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks