• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105 recovery leads to query

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up the trailer at RRAD Monday AM. Total time to get in and out was about 2.5 hrs. GL lifted it for the hitch on the F150; nice young fellow. Checked it over rather hurriedlyly, nothing loose, missing, etc. Hauled it ~425 mi home w/o incident, althought I stopped every 50 or so miles to check hub temps and at every Sam's to gas up. Have to change the trans fulid this week on the little Ford.

Backed it into the yard today and buttoned it up. On re-examination I noted three things: first, it looks like it took a large-caliber round in the left hip...about a 3/4-in hole deflected inward and upward; second, its 'testicle' is hanging dangerously beneath its midsection from what appear to be replacement [plastic] lines; and third, the air bleed is snapped off as well.

Need a suggestion as to how to remove the snapped off piece of ~3/4" pipe nipple that is still in the relay valve body. [Slowly getting the parts straight via TM9-2330-213-14&P]

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m105

I see you have met the Fort Polk GL forklift driver :)

They also cut off the bleed valve and a fitting on the relay valve on mine on an earlier lot. :shock:

Try a large easy out on the pipe remains with penetrating oil. You could also weld a nut to the remains to try to screw it off.

My bleeder unscrewed and it is a simple drain cock with pipe thread.

On my damaged hose fitting, I just plugged the hole with JB weld and used another port on the valve.

If the valve is toast it is a very common valve available at NAPA in Midland/haldex.

I was bidding on some of those recently and missed out. :oops:

Take Care,

Juan

3dAngus

I have both the air tank and controller for sale, if you can't work it out. If interested, PM me.
Good luck with it.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you have met the Fort Polk GL forklift driver :)

Only if he was tdy to Red River. I suspect the perp was one of the Normal brothers, either Sub or Ab.

As to the hole, pic looking upward attached. Entry was clearly from exterior, angled slight upward, but I cannot say w/o doubt if it was ammo or one of the Normals. It has been hammered out a bit from within and was CARCd when the trailer went tan. Vintage purportedly is '87, original color looks to me like 34087.

Hmmm...stand by for pic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks