• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 W/ A3 Rims and Tires

cruzinz28

Thought I'd post these pictures since I decided to do an experiment to see if this combination works.

The tires and rims are right of a M35A3 (14.5R20 Michelin XL). There is roughly 1.5"-2" clearance between the tire and the trailer bed on the inside and the tires barely stick out past the sides of the trailer. This should some what level the trailer setting behind my bobber with 395's and give it a little more stability since it now has a wider stance.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like that!
It has always been my plan to retrofit an M105 with modern wide radials. I wasn't sure about sufficient clearance for 14.5s at max articulation/ load so I was going to stay with 12.5s on 1pc 11x20 custom wheels. Now, after seeing your pics I feel more confident...
Thanks for posting!

G.

cruzinz28

My next plan was to double check the articulation and tire clearance. For now I am still waiting for the ground to dry our behind the maintenance tent so I can get to the trailer for a test run. I'll be sure to post more pictures once I can do that as well.

wehring

lift kit

Jesse,

I was thinking of removing the overload springs and block from the top of the primary spring and adding a block (same thickness as removed assy) under the primary spring. This will give you ~2" lift. The overall thickness does not change so you can reuse all the same hardware.

Just a thought.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

jesusgatos

I'm headed up to WA at the end of the month to pick up a new trailer. Not sure what the official designation is, but it's a 10ft flatbed, single-axle, that carried two generators. I'm going to install a set of these wheels and tires. Will be a bit wider than I'd like, but I want to run the same wheels/tires on the truck and trailer. Also got a spare tire mount / toolbox off a 5-ton that I'm going to mount on the tongue of the trailer.

ALFA2

Wehring, I have seen a trailer at an MV show in PHX, that had almost this combo, except they kept the overload springs where they were, and added a steel spacer block on top of the axle, and from what it looked like, a longer set of U bolts. That trailer did not have a cargo cover, but it also looked well stabilized, and former AZ national Guard. I wanted to see what this will work like for my setup, so I asked who did the install, but it's current owner did not know, as he already got it that way, and he had no rubbing or tire contact with 2,500 LBS in the back, and while off road behind his Deuce, which is also on 395's. With that spacer block the trailer looked level with the Deuce and as it should, balanced. As I come across enough of A3 wheels and fresh 395's I will do the same.

Hope this helps.

ALFA2

cruzinz28

Bobbed4x4 - No, I had a spare rear rack in my building and it will not fit on the side of the trailer with the 14.5R 20's and A3 rims. Now, if you were to add a 1" to 1-1/2" spacer in the leaf sorng pack i think you could acheive the clearance you need with no problem with no problem.

Bobbed4x4

Banned
Bobbed4x4 - No, I had a spare rear rack in my building and it will not fit on the side of the trailer with the 14.5R 20's and A3 rims. Now, if you were to add a 1" to 1-1/2" spacer in the leaf sorng pack i think you could acheive the clearance you need with no problem with no problem.

Bummer, I guess there would be other ways to store those.... I was thinking about getting some combat rims for my bobber and putting a couple on the trailer as well for a better look. I REALLY like how this one looks.

cruzinz28

TigerHawk - It's actually not just a cap. It's a CBC shelter. All fiberglass, floor, roof and
sides. I think there are a couple floating around for sale. I think Wehring had
one for sale recently. They are rare and pricey, but well worth it! I have a cot
in mine and finishing storage compartments for next years shows... hopefully.

Bobbed4x4 - I looked again at the rear rack storage this weekend. Two small pieces of
square stock and cut two holes you could wel two extensions on the top of
the existing storage pockets to make it clear again.

I'm working on an old water buffalo now as well... this one might be sporting dual wheels to keep from wearing ruts in the yard.

cruzinz28

dudley - I had to pay a small ransom to get her to ride in the Deuce all weekend for memorial day. With her sore back and temporary hearing loss even with ear plugs I think were going to have to stick with the Carninval Pride for the Honeymoon... LoL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks